Harry Potter vs. Twilight: Harry Rules All! | Teen Ink

Harry Potter vs. Twilight: Harry Rules All!

By StarlingChild PLATINUM, El Cajon, California
StarlingChild PLATINUM, El Cajon, California

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Since 1998, J.K. Rowling has captured the hearts of millions with her incredible Harry Potter series. For nearly a decade, each of her seven books have left the reader anticipating the next adventure; but, for some reason, even some of the most fanatic Harry Potter fans have sunk their teeth into Stephanie Meyer’s best-selling Twilight series, and have all but forgotten the magic their previously favorite series had brought them.
What is it about either of the series that has drawn so many fans, that causes them to immerse themselves in the many paged fantasy novels? For Harry Potter, the answer is complicated yet simple in its own way: the story is much more intriguing and well-thought out compared to the vampire love story that some claim to be the best all around.
What is so amazing about the Twilight series? Oh, just the fact that Meyers provides deliciously graphic adjectives and ten-page-long descriptions of how “gorgeous,” “perfect,” and yet incredibly “dangerous” dear Edward Cullen is. This and, of course, the tragically wonderful love story between Bella and her two true loves Edward the vampire and Jacob the werewolf. Just looking at those words, anyone in their right mind would think it’s the type of
story that only silly, sentimental fools would read.
Harry Potter actually has a story, with a goal and developing plot that lasts our hero’s youth. He faces difficult times -- much more than just a lovesick dilemma -- and struggles with both insignificant and exceedingly crucial topics that all people face when growing up.
Harry has a love story as well; between the third and fifth books, he has a crush on Cho Chang, just like any other teenager. But J.K. Rowling reveals it in a different manner. Instead of going on about it, she merely hints it with Harry’s behavior around Cho, and occasionally talks about it. She also includes a lot of clever humor, so that the story is not focused on Harry’s far-off love, but rather on him and other characters. Plus, when it turns out that Cho is not the right one for him -- because normal guys are generally very uncomfortable around girls sobbing over their dead boyfriend -- he begins a crush on Ginny Weasley, but refuses to be with her for a long time because he is loyal to his best friend, Ron Weasley.
Besides that, the series has many different characters that affect Harry’s life in both good and bad ways. The Weasley’s are a second family to Harry, seeing that the Durseley’s treated him worst than a muddy dog around the immaculate house. Ron befriends Harry on the first day, and Mrs. Weasley is the mother he never had. And of course, there’s Hermione, who remains true to Harry even during the few times Ron begins to fade away. Then, there’s jovial Hagrid, wise Professor Dumbledore, and many other friends. Severus Snape, Draco Malfoy, and other
Slytherins provide the list of Harry’s school enemies, and provide most of the plot, because realistically, a story is never a good story unless there are some “bad guys.”

Furthermore, Rowling’s humor is used to let the pages pass by quickly and sometimes even be used to mock something more serious. Fantasy is meant to be a metaphorical way of presenting a theme, idea, or opinion.
But most important of all, Rowling alludes to controversial topics, that Harry and his friends become involved in as the series goes on. The Ministry of Magic intervening in Hogwarts’ education in Order of the Phoenix is a huge example of government becoming so corrupt in their own power, it’ll do anything to save their reputation, as what the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, tries to keep Harry Potter and Albus Dumbledore from telling the world that Lord Voldemort has returned. Also, the prejudice that Rowling describes between the pure-blood families and the muggle-borns (called “Mudbloods,” a derogatory term towards people like Hermione), and how people treated house-elves as no more than inferior servants that do not mind working hard all the time. These topics are highly significant, for it describes the class-warfare that goes on today, and what turncoats people can be, as the books describe Harry’s rises and falls from popularity at Hogwarts.
It is said by certain fans that Bella in Twilight is the more realistic heroine than Harry, perhaps because she doesn’t have magical powers. She also acts like any other troubled teenager who thinks she’s madly in love, but it is just an infatuation. Harry, at least, has flaws like any normal human being, while at the same time preserving the traditional traits of any other literary hero: he’s noble, brave, willing to face death when in danger, willing to save his friends, and tries to discover where he belongs.
Also, within the wizard series, there’s the question of creativity. How can anyone, who has read the series, think that Stephanie Meyer portrays a better example of fantasy? Last time anyone checked, there are no words within Twilight that are similar to “Wingardium Leviosa,” or “Hogwarts,” or even “Albus Dumbledore.” Not that anyone is judging against Stephanie Meyer’s lack of creativity, but it’s hard to ignore the fact that there is nothing to compare when people go on about how Twilight is way better than Harry Potter.

guitargirl said...
Definitely a huge HP fan! But although I think the HP books are better, I still enjoyed reading Twilight.  I don't see why you can't like both.

InkDance PLATINUM, Sylvania, Ohio

The only difference between highschoolers and preschoolers is that preschoolers get naptime.

I agree with the fact that Harry Potter is infinitely better than Twilight, but I don't agree with the fact that Meyer doesn't write great literature. Although Twilight can be disappointing, anyone who's read her book the Host can agree that she can write literature very well. 

L.T.A SILVER said...
on Jun. 27 2010 at 10:59 am
L.T.A SILVER, Hammond, Indiana

All of the animals except for man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it.-- Samuel Butler

I totally agree with phoenixqueen. But I also must say that I haven't read all of the Harry Potter books only the last few.

ANTHONYGAGA22 BRONZE, Birmingham, Alabama

"Make life art and art life" Anthony Oliver

I have and will always remain loyal to Harry Potter as you can probaly tell.I've tried to read the Twilight series and they are just horrible the description ,dialouge, just everthing .Harry potter is one of the greast  books ever you can relate to at least one chacter and Potter fans are the complte best .

IAmASneakyOwl, West Warwick, Rhode Island
True that.

This is so true. I was a dedicated Harry Potter fan since I first remember, but once Twilight came along, for some odd reason that was my new obsession. But now I realize that the story is just like any other teen novel, full of "love" and drama. Harry Potter offers a more subtle amount of this, plus adventure, danger, magic, and some mystery. I think we can tell which is the superior book.

sarahsinginrain SILVER, Setauket, New York

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephan Sodeim

Amen. That's all i have to say. 

ReadingFanatic SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri

“Nobody important? Blimey, that’s amazing. Do you know, in nine hundred years of time and space I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important before.”

Well said, I like how you got it through twilight fans THICK HEADS , that Harry Potter is better.

on Feb. 9 2010 at 4:35 am
HeadshotM SILVER, Melbourne, New York

Your failure is my success

He who must not be named!!!!

phoenixqueen GOLD, Idaho Falls, Idaho

"I cannot live without books."

I still think that we can just enjoy books for the story the author wanted to tell, instead of overanalyzing it. What is wrong with that? I think that Twilight is an awesome story, that is all.

iamthesmartone, Clermont, Florida

The orca hat is awesome

i was replying to your previous comment about me judging s.m on her personal life and you additionally making some hypocritical remarks. by the way stephenie meyer is not being crtisized merely for her abundance of typo's she is being called out for her tendency to produce poor characterizations, unresolved plots, examples of feminine inferiority , extreme abuse of the words mummur and chuckle and perhaps the most offensive of all from a literary standpoint at least, the use of a deus-ex-machina as a way to resolve her story and to mask a highly anti climatic ending. do you now understand?

sophietle BRONZE, Houston, Texas

"As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters." - Seneca

Thank you, thank you for this review. I totally agree with you. Some people have been calling Stephenie Meyer "the next J.K. Rowling," but I don't think she can hold a candle to the universe that J.K. Rowling has created. Rowling's books relate a clear struggle between good and evil, which I think is a much more powerful message than a romance. The Harry Potter books will still be around long after Twilight has been forgotten.

phoenixqueen GOLD, Idaho Falls, Idaho

"I cannot live without books."

I'm wondering what sort of flaws you found in her books, other than the normal typos that are in every book. And I didn't really understand your last comment, could you clarify?

on Jan. 23 2010 at 9:18 am
iamthesmartone, Clermont, Florida

The orca hat is awesome

by the way the poster that i referred to as short sighted stated that i did not look past my original opinion so whose making judgements now?

on Jan. 23 2010 at 9:13 am
iamthesmartone, Clermont, Florida

The orca hat is awesome

sorry about the many typos i sprained my wrists yesterday, my friend is typing this new comment

on Jan. 23 2010 at 9:10 am
iamthesmartone, Clermont, Florida

The orca hat is awesome

firstly i was commenting on her wriring stlye and the overall quality of her boos, not her personal lise nor her personality.

secondly i made no comments cocerning the media's portrayl of her. i stick to the writing and the overall strenghth of her storytelling ablility. furthermore i have infact read all four twilight novels and am more than qulified as reader to state the truth about their flaws and the writer's flaws in regards to the material in question. so if you think that i am making a personal, unreasonable attack upon your precious author then my aruguments should be countered intelligently not not dismissed ignorantly.

on Jan. 22 2010 at 10:56 am
phoenixqueen GOLD, Idaho Falls, Idaho

"I cannot live without books."

I don't see why people have to be loyal to one or the other. I love Harry Potter and Twilight. I think that they are both fantastic books.

on Jan. 22 2010 at 10:55 am
phoenixqueen GOLD, Idaho Falls, Idaho

"I cannot live without books."

I don't think there is any reason to critisize someone for liking something that you don't. There is no "short-sightedness" about it. Some people like some things, others don't. There is also no need to critisize someone you don't really know except for what newspapers and magazines say about her.

on Jan. 18 2010 at 10:15 am
PhoenixFeather62442 BRONZE, Chesterfield, Missouri

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't look around every once in a while, you could miss it."
--Ferris Bueller :D

I completely and totally agree with you! I hate it when "Twilighters" say that Harry Potter has no love story within it.... Have they not read HP and the Deathly Hallows and seen the love that Snape had for Lily?

How can anyone say that Bella is a better hero than Harry?? She is almost the definition of a damsel in distress. She's always trying to take advantage of Edward, and just because her boyfriend leaves, she has to go all suicidal on everyone. Oh yes, that makes her a VERY strong female protagonist....

However, there is one thing I slightly disagree with you on. I must admit that I believe that Stephanie Meyer is a great writer.

However no author can EVER live up to JK Rowling... she is my idol! :)

titanicboy BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut
Totally agree. have you ever heard about the one when the vampire went to lunch? He said he was going to get a bite!!!