Harry Potter vs. Twilight: Harry Rules All!

Since 1998, J.K. Rowling has captured the hearts of millions with her incredible Harry Potter series. For nearly a decade, each of her seven books have left the reader anticipating the next adventure; but, for some reason, even some of the most fanatic Harry Potter fans have sunk their teeth into Stephanie Meyer’s best-selling Twilight series, and have all but forgotten the magic their previously favorite series had brought them.
What is it about either of the series that has drawn so many fans, that causes them to immerse themselves in the many paged fantasy novels? For Harry Potter, the answer is complicated yet simple in its own way: the story is much more intriguing and well-thought out compared to the vampire love story that some claim to be the best all around.
What is so amazing about the Twilight series? Oh, just the fact that Meyers provides deliciously graphic adjectives and ten-page-long descriptions of how “gorgeous,” “perfect,” and yet incredibly “dangerous” dear Edward Cullen is. This and, of course, the tragically wonderful love story between Bella and her two true loves Edward the vampire and Jacob the werewolf. Just looking at those words, anyone in their right mind would think it’s the type of
story that only silly, sentimental fools would read.
Harry Potter actually has a story, with a goal and developing plot that lasts our hero’s youth. He faces difficult times -- much more than just a lovesick dilemma -- and struggles with both insignificant and exceedingly crucial topics that all people face when growing up.
Harry has a love story as well; between the third and fifth books, he has a crush on Cho Chang, just like any other teenager. But J.K. Rowling reveals it in a different manner. Instead of going on about it, she merely hints it with Harry’s behavior around Cho, and occasionally talks about it. She also includes a lot of clever humor, so that the story is not focused on Harry’s far-off love, but rather on him and other characters. Plus, when it turns out that Cho is not the right one for him -- because normal guys are generally very uncomfortable around girls sobbing over their dead boyfriend -- he begins a crush on Ginny Weasley, but refuses to be with her for a long time because he is loyal to his best friend, Ron Weasley.
Besides that, the series has many different characters that affect Harry’s life in both good and bad ways. The Weasley’s are a second family to Harry, seeing that the Durseley’s treated him worst than a muddy dog around the immaculate house. Ron befriends Harry on the first day, and Mrs. Weasley is the mother he never had. And of course, there’s Hermione, who remains true to Harry even during the few times Ron begins to fade away. Then, there’s jovial Hagrid, wise Professor Dumbledore, and many other friends. Severus Snape, Draco Malfoy, and other
Slytherins provide the list of Harry’s school enemies, and provide most of the plot, because realistically, a story is never a good story unless there are some “bad guys.”

Furthermore, Rowling’s humor is used to let the pages pass by quickly and sometimes even be used to mock something more serious. Fantasy is meant to be a metaphorical way of presenting a theme, idea, or opinion.
But most important of all, Rowling alludes to controversial topics, that Harry and his friends become involved in as the series goes on. The Ministry of Magic intervening in Hogwarts’ education in Order of the Phoenix is a huge example of government becoming so corrupt in their own power, it’ll do anything to save their reputation, as what the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, tries to keep Harry Potter and Albus Dumbledore from telling the world that Lord Voldemort has returned. Also, the prejudice that Rowling describes between the pure-blood families and the muggle-borns (called “Mudbloods,” a derogatory term towards people like Hermione), and how people treated house-elves as no more than inferior servants that do not mind working hard all the time. These topics are highly significant, for it describes the class-warfare that goes on today, and what turncoats people can be, as the books describe Harry’s rises and falls from popularity at Hogwarts.
It is said by certain fans that Bella in Twilight is the more realistic heroine than Harry, perhaps because she doesn’t have magical powers. She also acts like any other troubled teenager who thinks she’s madly in love, but it is just an infatuation. Harry, at least, has flaws like any normal human being, while at the same time preserving the traditional traits of any other literary hero: he’s noble, brave, willing to face death when in danger, willing to save his friends, and tries to discover where he belongs.
Also, within the wizard series, there’s the question of creativity. How can anyone, who has read the series, think that Stephanie Meyer portrays a better example of fantasy? Last time anyone checked, there are no words within Twilight that are similar to “Wingardium Leviosa,” or “Hogwarts,” or even “Albus Dumbledore.” Not that anyone is judging against Stephanie Meyer’s lack of creativity, but it’s hard to ignore the fact that there is nothing to compare when people go on about how Twilight is way better than Harry Potter.

bassclarinetist12 said...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 8:37 am:

I love Harry Potter much more than Twilight. I have read most of each series multiple times each.

But I feel like the real plot of Twilight is being unrepresented here. The driving conflict of the whole novel is that Bella wants to become a vampire. Each novel, like in HP, there is a smaller storyline that ends up dragging Bella closer to an end. In Harry Potter the main conflict is ridding the world of Voldemort, yet each story also has a trial that Harry must endure in ... (more »)

BlueRain replied...
Dec. 30, 2011 at 5:04 pm :
I can see that as the main idea, and in a way it ruins Bella's love for Edward. If all she really wants is to be a vampire and become immortal, I think I understand her character much better. It would explain her extreme reaction to Edward leaving, because not only did he leave with his family, but he also took her only chance of being immortal. Now the entire series is tainted by her ulterior motive, not that it wasn't already tainted.. Now her character fits. And she didn't chose Jacob becaus... (more »)

Medusa said...
Feb. 23, 2011 at 7:15 pm:
I totally agree with this article. But one thing in Twilight a lot of people miss--I didn't notice myself until someone pointed it out to me--but Edward Cullen is really controling. I mean, watching your girlfriend while she sleeps every night? Even before he and Bella had a "releationship"! (Can't spell) And, I don't know if anyone has noticed, but Edward always seems to get miffed when Bella's out with someone else. (Not that Bella's really any better, but I thought I'd point it out.)

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I know, I know, I know.  I am properly ashamed, but shall never venture down the Twilit road again.  Harry Potter rock.  Ugh, Stephanie Meyer's writing is really bad.  slow, predictable, lovey-dovey to the point of it being really sappy.  romance novels are fine.  Twilight is a BAD example.  the romance is so stupid!  Bella is pathetic.  Edward is...a vampire.  Honestly, why would you want/let yourself - love a vampire?  it's just so stupid?... (more »)

Writer4Life_21 said...
harry potter is nothing but the awesomest thing in the world. it is an amazing journey

harrypotterpwns said...
Harry Potter is awesome, Twilight is junk. I finished Harry a while back, and I was in love. You spoke about how dumb Twilight was, and I agreed.

They-call-me-Twon said...
Dec. 2, 2010 at 8:53 am:
I agree with you that Harry Potter is better because it most def is. I just would like to point out that Twilight does have a storyline. It's a romance between two beings, one immortal and one mortal, that defies the laws of nature and all kinds of other supernatural laws. Then Jacob enters the love triangle because Bella is looking for some sort of relationship with another being because Edward has left because he knows it breaks the laws of nature. I agree that the descriptions are way to long... (more »)

BlueRain replied...
Dec. 30, 2011 at 5:13 pm :
I don't really get why there's always the need to defy the laws of nature. The laws of nature are there for a reason. While Harry Potter does have magic (which as far as we know is not something naturally existing), the ultimate law of death is still there. Voldemort tries in vain to conquer it and ends up wasting his life and other people's lives just trying to make himself immortal. Strangely I feel more sympathy for him than I do for Bella, mainly because Voldemort had a horrible childhood an... (more »)

Kelz1141 said...
AAAAAAAAAGREED!

schlage said...
Thank Tou so much!! Like you said, harry potter actually has a storyline. When the characters did fall in love, it was actually realistic. Edward and Bella like each other after they talked for about 2 min. Are you really about to give up your soul for this dude? Harry Potter has everything and will be remembered for years.

SuperSaiyan said...
Harry Potter is way better than Twilight. I've read the first few pages of twilight and it was completely alien to me, yet all the girls in our class go crazy with Twilight. It's kind of stupid when they say oh Edward is so hot and all that stuff. HP is way better than some crazy romance book. Seriously, if Twilight didn't have any romance, no girls will probably read it.

Don Draper said...
Two sisters are arguing about whether Santa is real. One is 16 and the other is 8 years old. The youngest one still believes in Santa. The oldest tells her that Santa isn't real. In response the younger one says "Oh yeah? Neither is Edward Cullen!"

StarlingChild This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 15, 2010 at 3:06 pm :
LOL!!!! That is brilliant!!!! Thank you so much, everyone, for your posts!!! :) I really appreciate it.

BlueRain replied...
Dec. 30, 2011 at 5:15 pm :
I feel sorry for both.

BlueRain replied...
Dec. 30, 2011 at 5:19 pm :
1. He knows when you're sleeping. 2. He knows when you're awake. 3. He sneaks into your house at night. 4. He's really old. 5. He has sparkly ornaments. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Santa Clause and Edward Cullen. The only difference is that Santa's reindeer pull his sleigh, while Edward eats them.

Big D said...
i think that harry potter is the best movie ever made becuase it keeps you wanting more because of the fact that its so intriging and how they portray the magic they make it loook so real and they are so cute espcialy harmony i think thats how you spell her name

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I agree. Especially the part about how Stephanie Meyer goes on forever about how "gorgous" Edward is. Seriously, I get it. He has wonderful golden-brown hair and sparkling white skin. I read it the first time. You don't need to say it thirty more times. And I totally agree with the part about how Harry is more realistic because he actually has flaws. Everyone in Twilight it just so PERFECT. Or they're a bad guy. Last time I checked, the world isn't black and white. Good guys have flaws too.

guitargirl said...
Jul. 31, 2010 at 1:39 pm:
Definitely a huge HP fan! But although I think the HP books are better, I still enjoyed reading Twilight.  I don't see why you can't like both.

harrypotter22 said...
May 20, 2010 at 8:42 pm:
I have and will always remain loyal to Harry Potter as you can probaly tell.I've tried to read the Twilight series and they are just horrible the description ,dialouge, just everthing .Harry potter is one of the greast  books ever you can relate to at least one chacter and Potter fans are the complte best .

XxAnybodyxX said...
This is so true. I was a dedicated Harry Potter fan since I first remember, but once Twilight came along, for some odd reason that was my new obsession. But now I realize that the story is just like any other teen novel, full of "love" and drama. Harry Potter offers a more subtle amount of this, plus adventure, danger, magic, and some mystery. I think we can tell which is the superior book.

sarahjanesinginrain said...
Amen. That's all i have to say.