Harry Potter vs. Twilight: Harry Rules All! | Teen Ink

Harry Potter vs. Twilight: Harry Rules All!

By StarlingChild PLATINUM, El Cajon, California
StarlingChild PLATINUM, El Cajon, California

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Since 1998, J.K. Rowling has captured the hearts of millions with her incredible Harry Potter series. For nearly a decade, each of her seven books have left the reader anticipating the next adventure; but, for some reason, even some of the most fanatic Harry Potter fans have sunk their teeth into Stephanie Meyer’s best-selling Twilight series, and have all but forgotten the magic their previously favorite series had brought them.
What is it about either of the series that has drawn so many fans, that causes them to immerse themselves in the many paged fantasy novels? For Harry Potter, the answer is complicated yet simple in its own way: the story is much more intriguing and well-thought out compared to the vampire love story that some claim to be the best all around.
What is so amazing about the Twilight series? Oh, just the fact that Meyers provides deliciously graphic adjectives and ten-page-long descriptions of how “gorgeous,” “perfect,” and yet incredibly “dangerous” dear Edward Cullen is. This and, of course, the tragically wonderful love story between Bella and her two true loves Edward the vampire and Jacob the werewolf. Just looking at those words, anyone in their right mind would think it’s the type of
story that only silly, sentimental fools would read.
Harry Potter actually has a story, with a goal and developing plot that lasts our hero’s youth. He faces difficult times -- much more than just a lovesick dilemma -- and struggles with both insignificant and exceedingly crucial topics that all people face when growing up.
Harry has a love story as well; between the third and fifth books, he has a crush on Cho Chang, just like any other teenager. But J.K. Rowling reveals it in a different manner. Instead of going on about it, she merely hints it with Harry’s behavior around Cho, and occasionally talks about it. She also includes a lot of clever humor, so that the story is not focused on Harry’s far-off love, but rather on him and other characters. Plus, when it turns out that Cho is not the right one for him -- because normal guys are generally very uncomfortable around girls sobbing over their dead boyfriend -- he begins a crush on Ginny Weasley, but refuses to be with her for a long time because he is loyal to his best friend, Ron Weasley.
Besides that, the series has many different characters that affect Harry’s life in both good and bad ways. The Weasley’s are a second family to Harry, seeing that the Durseley’s treated him worst than a muddy dog around the immaculate house. Ron befriends Harry on the first day, and Mrs. Weasley is the mother he never had. And of course, there’s Hermione, who remains true to Harry even during the few times Ron begins to fade away. Then, there’s jovial Hagrid, wise Professor Dumbledore, and many other friends. Severus Snape, Draco Malfoy, and other
Slytherins provide the list of Harry’s school enemies, and provide most of the plot, because realistically, a story is never a good story unless there are some “bad guys.”

Furthermore, Rowling’s humor is used to let the pages pass by quickly and sometimes even be used to mock something more serious. Fantasy is meant to be a metaphorical way of presenting a theme, idea, or opinion.
But most important of all, Rowling alludes to controversial topics, that Harry and his friends become involved in as the series goes on. The Ministry of Magic intervening in Hogwarts’ education in Order of the Phoenix is a huge example of government becoming so corrupt in their own power, it’ll do anything to save their reputation, as what the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, tries to keep Harry Potter and Albus Dumbledore from telling the world that Lord Voldemort has returned. Also, the prejudice that Rowling describes between the pure-blood families and the muggle-borns (called “Mudbloods,” a derogatory term towards people like Hermione), and how people treated house-elves as no more than inferior servants that do not mind working hard all the time. These topics are highly significant, for it describes the class-warfare that goes on today, and what turncoats people can be, as the books describe Harry’s rises and falls from popularity at Hogwarts.
It is said by certain fans that Bella in Twilight is the more realistic heroine than Harry, perhaps because she doesn’t have magical powers. She also acts like any other troubled teenager who thinks she’s madly in love, but it is just an infatuation. Harry, at least, has flaws like any normal human being, while at the same time preserving the traditional traits of any other literary hero: he’s noble, brave, willing to face death when in danger, willing to save his friends, and tries to discover where he belongs.
Also, within the wizard series, there’s the question of creativity. How can anyone, who has read the series, think that Stephanie Meyer portrays a better example of fantasy? Last time anyone checked, there are no words within Twilight that are similar to “Wingardium Leviosa,” or “Hogwarts,” or even “Albus Dumbledore.” Not that anyone is judging against Stephanie Meyer’s lack of creativity, but it’s hard to ignore the fact that there is nothing to compare when people go on about how Twilight is way better than Harry Potter.

MiraculousMiracles SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

We are all in a simulation,I am awake

Well i agree..I love both very much but after Breaking dawn i lost all love for twilight. That ruined everything how Bella became a vampire and went against Jacob. I don't know if anyone saw that Trailer but I didn't appreciate the idea of having Jacob date Renesmee and have a baby. I'm glad it was taken down because that was plain wrong. Haha i'll just stick with the Harry fandom,It is beautiful ,Thriving and can't lose my interest.

A.Pride said...
on May. 27 2016 at 3:11 am
A.Pride, Visalia, California
meanwhile...At a conference, Stephanie Meyer said: “The God of Writing sent me to earth to show people how to write.” When J.K Rowling heard, she looked at the ground, puzzled, and then said, “I didn’t send anyone.” o-o

Book_Nerd201 said...
Fun fact: least successful hairy Potter book made 90 million more dollars than the most successful twilight book.

Supercake said...
on Jul. 17 2014 at 10:54 am
After reading Harry Potter and Little Women, nobody can say that Stephenie Meyer is a good writer! She writes like a 10 year old! 

JesusandHisLawyers SILVER, Austin, Texas

"who the fuck has a favorite personal quote what does that even mean" - me, just now.

OR you could read some actual literature, expand your reading horizons, and stop participating in this juvenile "whose book sucks the least" game. 

Bones96 BRONZE said...
Bones96 BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina

Life isn't about finding yourself it's about creating yourself-

While I love the Harry Potter series and lothe the literary mess that is, Twilight. There are some points I'd like to make about your writing.  Your title for example. It says basically what you wrote in the artical. But it also shows right off it's one sided. That shows in the text too, you only point out the good in the Harry Potter series and the bad in Twilight. There isn't an angrument at least not a good one here.  What I read in the subtext was basically this: "Harry Potter is awesome, Twilight sucks. Like Harry potter because I say so"  This probably isn't what you where going for and where trying to make a fair argument. However that didn't come across to me. I would have suggested presenting both sides and letting others decide their option. Everyone is intitled to their own option.  Really the title should have been more suggestive of why you think Harry Potter is better then Twilight. Rather than implying a debate.  

FrancesTomlinson BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

"I didn't choose the fangirl life, the fangirl life chose me." -Anonymous Fangirl

Well, as the title says, Harry Potter Rules All.  Do not question the awesomeness of titles.  Harry is more down-to-earth, reasonable, and generally a better person than (ew, cringe time) EDWARD who SPARKLES in the SUN.....

LionsBlue said...
LionsBlue, Henrico, Virginia

Lion does not laugh
At Mouse now,
Now he knows.

I agree! Harry Potter is way better than Twilight!

BeastlySage BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
Sorry, but I, with every fiber of my being, hate Twilight, and, with every fiber of my being, love Harry Potter. Also, as proof, I have Mark Reads Twilight(AKA a site everyone who finds Twilight just as good as Harry Potter should check out). It reveals the major flaws of the series, from the writing to racism and sexism.

Ravenclawprincess1123 BRONZE, Deep River, Connecticut
Though I like Harry potter more than twilight I do like twilight and I think that your description or twilight is wrong

Luckystar78 ELITE, London, Other

"..though warm as summer it was fresh as spring." (Thomas Hardy) ("Far from the Madding crowd")

I am so much agreement with this article - it's great, you really get the harry potter plot/main characters and if this was published then maybe the world would see how much better Harry Potter is than Twilight...it's tragic the way some people prefer a silly love story that turns out perfectly to a thrilling tale with actual literary talent...no offence to Stephenie Meyer or crazed twi-hard fans...

on Jun. 24 2012 at 6:54 am
aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

I agree with the fact that HP is better, but it's also not neccessary to put down other people's writing so harshly. Stephenie Meyer is a good writer, she just writes about topics that many people see as silly. Love stories are not loved by all. Just pointing that out.

Brianna♥ said...
on May. 12 2012 at 10:54 am
I agree! I love both series! I don't know why they need to be compared! The Hunger Games, Twilight, and Harry Potter shouldn't be compared! They are all good in their own way:)

smarty pants said...
why so judgemental

BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

1. He knows when you're sleeping. 2. He knows when you're awake. 3. He sneaks into your house at night. 4. He's really old. 5. He has sparkly ornaments. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Santa Clause and Edward Cullen. The only difference is that Santa's reindeer pull his sleigh, while Edward eats them.

BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

I feel sorry for both.

BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

I don't really get why there's always the need to defy the laws of nature. The laws of nature are there for a reason. While Harry Potter does have magic (which as far as we know is not something naturally existing), the ultimate law of death is still there. Voldemort tries in vain to conquer it and ends up wasting his life and other people's lives just trying to make himself immortal. Strangely I feel more sympathy for him than I do for Bella, mainly because Voldemort had a horrible childhood and then you have Bella who purposely makes situations worse for herself.

BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

I can see that as the main idea, and in a way it ruins Bella's love for Edward. If all she really wants is to be a vampire and become immortal, I think I understand her character much better. It would explain her extreme reaction to Edward leaving, because not only did he leave with his family, but he also took her only chance of being immortal. Now the entire series is tainted by her ulterior motive, not that it wasn't already tainted.. Now her character fits. And she didn't chose Jacob because he would be the one living (almost) forever, while she would be aging like normal. So Bella is basically the weaker, whiner, feminine version of Voldemort. XD

BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

How is it tight? Bella establishes very well in the first chapter that she is a liar. How can we trust what she's seeing? Characters come and go in Harry Potter because it's not like he lives in the boring town of Forks were there's hardly any people. He goes to Hogwarts, which has to accommodate wizard and witch children from many areas. Maybe it's just because I've grown up with the series and I can name almost every character and I've researched their stories, but I don't get confused by the amount of characters. I like deep stories where not everything is told. Life in reality is a pretty loose end. We meet people every day and some stay while others are less obvious, but they all have stories. In Twilight, what is the story of Jessica? Mike? They're nothing but Bella's pawns in the story, where sometimes she gets the nerve to hang around them and other times she completely forgets them. They don't do anything. But everyone in Harry Potter serves some kind of purpose.

kaylarocks SILVER, AURORA, Colorado

"The more you take responsibility for your past and present, the more you are able to create the future you seek." - Author Unknown

Wow, why debate? I say the Harry potter books are better than the movies though!!