Why an American Follows the Commonwealth Games | Teen Ink

Why an American Follows the Commonwealth Games

I am William.

I am an American, always have been and always will be.

And I follow the Commonwealth Games. From this year forward, I do, and I am not ashamed to say so.

For one, it is a sporting competition. I really enjoy those.

For those of you not aware, the Commonwealth Games is a quadrennial multi-sport event, just like the better-known Olympic Games, but only countries formerly under rule of the British Empire can enter athletes. Many of the Olympic sports are contested, as well as some traditionally British sports. The 2014 edition is being held in Glasgow, having opened yesterday and closing on the third of August.

I like international sporting events. I don't care if the United States is not competing in said international sporting events. If the United States did not qualify for the FIFA World Cup (which has thankfully never happened in my lifetime), I would still follow it.

Secondly, I feel a special connection with Britain. Maybe it is because I used to live there. Maybe it is because my mom and dad both got a Ph. D. from a university there. Since Britain is the sine qua non, so to speak, of the Commonwealth, I feel connected to this.

If you want to watch any of the events, you should feel welcome to, regardless of nationality.