PEDs in Sports | Teen Ink

PEDs in Sports

May 30, 2014
By TheTyGuy BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
TheTyGuy BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't count the days, make the days count."
-Muhammed Ali


Argumentative Essay:
Some people may think that supplements are a dietary way to gain muscle and endurance quickly, but because some of these substances are not approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Association), they become potential PED’s (Performance Enhancing Drugs); thus, putting a risk to the body’s health and the spirit of a sport. Any performance enhancing drug or substance should be banned or limited to sports.
Athletes use different substances or supplements that give them somewhat of an edge on their performance compared to others. For example, distance runners use a spoonful of baking soda to help their endurance, and many athletes use creatine and calcium supplements to gain muscle quicker than the “old fashioned way”. Technically, they use these substances to enhance their performance, but they are not banned from sports the way steroids, adrenaline, and all the other 190 drugs and methods are.
One well known sports star that was found guilty for the use of steroids, Barry Bonds, would deny the fact that he used steroids. He accomplished unbelievable feats, such as passing Hank Aaron’s Home run record with 756 and ending his career with 762. He also finished his career with 7 M.V.P awards. Bonds let people test him for drugs, and he wasn’t accused guilty of using steroids until after his career. However, when he was accused, he was banned from being voted into the hall of fame. One little drug destroyed the credibility of mammoth Major League records.02
The Chairman of the World Anti-Doping Agency’s Prohibited List, and methods Sub-committee, Gary I. Wadler, MD, shows the criteria of drug credibility in sports. In order for it to be a potential PED, it must have potential to enhance performance, represent a risk to athlete’s health, and violate the spirit of a sport. In other words, they are only legal if they don’t enhance performance or take meaning away from a sport.
Youngmenshealthsite.org, a website produced by the Division of Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine at the Children’s Hospital of Boston, has an article titled “Steroids and Supplements: Information About Performance Enhancing Substances.” This article states, “many of these so called ‘legal’ or ‘natural’ substances have not been approved by the FDA.” In another section, the passage claims how “even natural substances can produce negative side effects.” Agreed, most substances used by athletes are dietary; however, when taken in high doses, like most athletes do, it can put a risk on the body’s health.
As you can see, these sources all lead to one claim, anything that enhances the way you perform in a sport immorally should not be legal. That includes things that unnaturally strengthen your muscle, breathing, and endurance. “The old fashioned way” is the right way; of course, it may take longer to reach that high goal you’ve set, but it will make you feel that much better when you reach it without the aid of a muscle booster. It is also a healthier way of playing a sport. You won’t be putting your body at risk if you’re not putting harmful substances in it. All in all, using performance enhancing drugs and substances is immoral to sports.