Baseball Editorial | Teen Ink

Baseball Editorial

By TonyDelRaso BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts
TonyDelRaso BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts

Baseball is a sport that teaches young kids teamwork. The players have to work together as a team in order to win the game. If one kid is unwilling to play as a member of the team the whole game could be lost. Therefore the kids want to win so they learn how to work together as a team to win.The great Babe Ruth once said “The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world; But if the don’t play together, the club won't be worth a dime.” He’s saying in baseball if you don’t have teamwork you basically don’t have a team.

Baseball is probably one of the most safest sports for young kids. It is one of the most safest sports because there's rarely any physical contact in games and practices. Baseball is one of the safest sports in the United States with injury rate of 1.26 injuries per 1000 athletic exposures.

Counterclaim: Parents should not encourage their kids to play baseball because the injuries are very dangerous.

Parents should not encourage their kids to play baseball because there are very dangerous and serious injuries. The injuries are more severe because the kids don’t wear protective gear to prevent these injuries. Close to 110,000 children were treated in emergency rooms for baseball injuries. Baseball has the highest fatality rate with three to four children dying from injuries each year. But these severe injuries can prevented if the kids just wear protective gear. If the parents have their kids wear the gear these injury rates can be reduced substantially.