Tennis Feature Article | Teen Ink

Tennis Feature Article

By Maria Agudelo BRONZE, Marlborough,, Massachusetts
Maria Agudelo BRONZE, Marlborough,, Massachusetts

Claim: Why most of the people prefer to play tennis
1. In my opinion:

a. People who participate in tennis three hours per week at a moderately vigorous intensity cut in half their risk of death from any cause, according to the late Dr. Ralph Paffenbarger, who was an internationally recognized exercise authority and studied more than 10,000 people for 20 years.

b. If you play tennis more the 3 hours per day you can be more healthy than a person who always do normal exercises

c .Competitive tennis burns more calories than aerobics or cycling, according to studies in caloric expenditures.

2. Begin an athlete tennis can be good for your health, in the future you will not with heart problems:

a. One on the ways for be a healthy person at tennis is that you can practice if it is possible all the week but if you can’t you can practice 1 or 2 hours per day.

b. Also the alimentation is very important for a person who practice tennis, some of the foods are this ones: Fruits are good in proteins, also has sugar that helps not in all the way but helps the tennis player to be energy,also water is important.

c. The difference of athletic person and a normal person, is the athletic person has more size of his muscles.

3.Tennis requires concentration and tactical thinking, which could generate new connections between nerves in the brain, promoting the continuous development of the brain throughout life, according to a report by scientists at the University of Illinois.

a. Coordination between the eye and the hand leads you to continuously play and carry out the accuracy of the ball and so achieve a point of contact optimum.

b. Flexibility by the constant movement to reach opponent balls.

c. Strength of legs through hundreds of starts and braking.

People would have to play tennis because
People who just play general sports like: Soccer, Cycling, Swimming or other sport are not healthy like a tennis player, according to the studies in the University of Pennsylvania and Harvard University vigorous exercise predicted greater longevity and lower risk of cardiovascular disease, and that so long as energy expenditure was equivalent, it was irrelevant whether the exercise was carried out in a single session or broken up. The study also found that as the energy expended increased, the risk of heart disease decreased. Those who remained very active into midlife stood a much better chance of surviving than moderately exercising and inactive alumni.
Tennis players scored higher and vigor, optimism and self-esteem while scoring lower in depression, anger, confusion, anxiety and tension that other athletes and non athletes, since tennis requires alertness and tactical thinking, it may generate new connections between nerves in the brain and promote a lifetime of continuing development of the brain, also the tennis outperforms others sports in developing positive personality characteristics.
Competitive tennis burns more calories than aerobics or cycling, tennis is an excellent form of exercise the tennis increases cardiovascular fitness, while also developing strength, flexibility, coordination and agility. Tennis is a fantastic sport to compliment many other athletic pursuits, as it works a variety of muscles across of the body while also building on general fitness levels.
Tennis keeps the mind sharp, to succeed at tennis you need to be more than just physically fit. There is no tuning out like you would if you were going for a long run or swim. The players of tennis must be mentally engaged at all times as a great deal of strategy is involved.The best players are often thinking several shots ahead, also the tennis can be played and enjoyed by both the young and the old, children as young as one or two years can enjoy developing their hand eye coordination and playing with the brightly coloured balls. Many seniors continue tennis well into their eighties, reaping rewards from an active and social retirement hobby.
The tennis is both a team and individual sport, since the tennis can be played as singles or doubles, you can choose between working with a partner to perfect team skill, or playing individually and mastering the sport solo.
Tennis is affordable. While many people associate tennis with the world of private clubs, it does not have to be the case. Tennis can be very inexpensive. The only equipment needed is a racket and ball. Many outdoor courts are available for free, and public facilities offer cheap indoor alternatives.
Tennis is often on TV and great fun to follow. With several major tournaments throughout the year, there’s always exciting tennis to watch on the television. The French, Australian, and US Opens are highlights in the tennis world you don’t want to miss. And of course we can’t forget Wimbledon and the Olympics too.
Tennis can be both recreational and highly competitive. People play tennis at a variety of levels for many different reasons. Some people play to keep fit, others to socialize, and some to win. Whatever your motivation, it’s always possible to find a good fit to play with.
Tennis is a great way to make new friends. Whether you are taking lessons, joining a tennis club, or meeting people at the local courts, tennis is a social activity that cannot be undertaken alone. Most people don’t want to only play against one person for the rest of their days, so finding new opponents can also turn into making new friends.
There’s always room for improvement. No matter how many years you’ve been playing tennis and no matter how good you a player you are, there’s always room for growth. Whether it’s your strategy, skills or fitness, there’s always a higher level to strive towards.
Aerobic fitness by burning fat and improving your cardiovascular fitness and maintaining higher energy levels.
Offering short, intense bursts of activity during a point followed by rest which helps muscles use oxygen efficiently.
Ability to accelerate by practice in sprinting, jumping and lunging to move quickly.
Powerful first step by requiring anticipation, quick reaction time and explosion into action.
Speed through a series of side to side and up and back sprints to chase the ball.
Leg Strength through hundreds of starts and stops which build stronger leg muscles.

General body coordination since you have to move into position and then adjust your upper body to hit the ball successfully.
Gross motor control through court movement and ball-striking skills which require control of your large muscle groups.
Fine motor control by the use of touch shots like angled volleys, drop shots and lobs.
Agility by forcing you to change direction as many as 5 times in 10 seconds during a typical tennis point.
Dynamic balance through hundreds of starts, stops, changes of direction and hitting on the run.
Cross-training by offering a physically demanding sport that’s fun to play for athletes who are expert in other sports.
Bone strength and density by strengthening bones of young players and helping prevent osteoporosis in older ones.
Immune system through its conditioning effects which promote overall health, fitness and resistance to disease.
Nutritional habits by eating appropriately before competition to enhance energy production and after competition to practice proper recovery methods.
Eye hand coordination because you constantly judge the timing between the oncoming ball and the proper contact point.
Flexibility due to the constant stretching and maneuvering to return the ball toward your opponent
Develop a work ethic because improvement through lessons or practice reinforces the value of hard work.
Develop discipline since you learn to work on your skills in practice and control the pace of play in competition.
Manage mistakes by learning to play within your abilities and realizing that managing and minimizing mistakes in tennis or life is critical.
Learn to compete one on one because the ability to compete and fight trains you in the ups and downs of a competitive world.
Accept responsibility because only you can prepare to compete by practicing skills, checking your equipment and during match play by making line calls.
Manage adversity by learning to adjust to the elements (e.g. wind, sun) and still be able to compete tenaciously.
Accommodate stress effectively because the physical, mental and emotional stress of tennis will force you to increase you capacity for dealing with stress.
Learn how to recover by adapting to the stress of a point and the recovery period between points which is similar to the stress and recovery cycles in life.
Plan and implement strategies since you naturally learn how to anticipate an opponent’s moves and plan your counter moves.
Learn to solve problems since tennis is a sport based on angles, geometry and physics.
Develop performance rituals before serving or returning to control your rhythm of play and deal with pressure These skills can transfer to taking exams, conducting a meeting or making an important sales presentation.
Learn sportsmanship since tennis teaches you to compete fairly with opponents.
Learn to win graciously and lose with honor. Gloating after a win or making excuses after a loss doesn’t work in tennis or in life.
Learn teamwork since successful doubles play depends on you and your partner’s ability to communicate and play as a cohesive unit.
Develop social skills through interaction and communication before a match, while changing sides of the court and after play.
Have FUN… because the healthy feelings of enjoyment, competitiveness and physical challenge are inherent in the sport.Tennis

The game of tennis had been around for centuries, and has been adapted and changed throughout history,the game originated from a French Game that involved passing a ball back and forth on a court using the palm of the hand. This French Game would eventually be adapted into the form of tennis that we are familiar with today.
Just like most sports, tennis was created almost by accident and there are some fascinating facts about the invention that are interesting to learn. By 1881, tennis had become so popular in Europe that is spread to the United States,the U.S decided to start its own national Tennis Association. The association would become more than just a group that united tennis playing in the states, but they made significant contributions to the game and how it is played. The Association Standardized Tennis Rules, and these rules would eventually become widely accepted in other countries that played.
In 1926 promoter C.C .Pyle created the first professional tennis tour with a group an American and French tennis player playing exhibition matches to paying audiences.
The most notable of these early professionals were the American Vinnie Richards and the frenchwoman Suzanne Lenglen. Once a player turned pro he or she could not compete in the major (amateur) tournaments.
The tennis is played by 2 players, the place where the people play tennis is a rectangular court divided by a low net. Tennis is played indoors and outdoors, on hard-surface, clay and grass courts

Important things about the tennis:
Practice
Footwork
Knowledge
Mental Ability
Imagination
Run fast
Flexibility
Jumps

Tools to play tennis:
Racquets
Balls
Miscellaneous
Mesh
Clothes
Gym Shorts
T-Shirts
Tennis Shoes
Hat

Accessories
Sweatbands
Hats or Caps

The First Tennis Players Of France in 1881

Suzanne Lenglen was a French player over centuries, was a champion for a long time and enjoyed and show how excellent was The French Tennis. In my opinion Jeu de Paume is one of the goods games I was seeing is an excellent sport, also the some interesinting