Skis are one of the greatest inventions ever created | Teen Ink

Skis are one of the greatest inventions ever created

May 29, 2014
By acameron123 BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts
acameron123 BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Did you know that skiing is the most popular sport in america. It is beloved by many people and has been helping people for thousands of years. People in the BC have used skis for thousands of years. Early people used skis to survive in the snowy and swamp terrain. This was an important factor to the survival of humans in this time era. Skis also played a factor in warfare. Ski militias skied past the enemy and attacked from behind. This contributed to the victory of many armies in many wars. Today skis are used as a sport. It is the most popular winter sport to date. These are examples of why skis are one of the greatest inventions ever created.

Skis helped early people survive and evolve and become more high tech. Early people used skis as an important means of transportation in tough and rugged terrain. People strapped on long poles to their feet and this kept them from falling into the snow or swamp and drown or freeze to death. Early people had many struggling obstacles to overcome and one is having to hunt with no bows and arrows. Skis helped people hunt because they could quickly ski over terrain and catch their prey for them to eat. Finally skis could be used as shovels. People dug out little gaps in the frigid snow to protect themselves from the ice cold wind. There is no doubt that skis helped people for thousands of years survive in the unforgiving world.


Skis were an important aspect to the success of the many militias in the world. The Norwegian militia had ski battalions that flank behind enemy troops and opened fire from behind when the enemy was defenseless. Ski militias in Finland contributed to the victory during the Winter War. Many of these ski militias have helped win wars that made the world what it is today.

Another great thing that came from the invention of skis is the great sport of skiing. Skiing is one of the most popular winter sports in the U.S.A. currently about 12 million people ski. This is about just over 3 percent. You're probably thinking this is a very small percent of the USA but it is the highest of all participants in any other winter sport. Also skiing is the most popular sport in the winter Olympics. hundreds of athletes ski in the Olympic winter games each year.


Skis may be an important inventions that helped the world become what it is but their are many other inventions that are more important to modern society. Some inventions that is more helpful to modern day society is television or indoor plumbing. The average time a person spends watching television is over 5 hours a day. This is the biggest way to entertain people. Another great invention is the toilet and indoor plumbing. Millions died each year from the disease before indoor plumbing was invented. Indoor plumbing helped save countless lives and is still saving them to date. However these are great inventions but skis have done both of those things. In the past skis helped people cross the snow quickly so they would not freeze to death. Many people used skis in the past so it helped many people survive. Skiing is also a great way to entertain someone. if you are sporty and enjoy adrenaline rushing through your veins as you reach speed limits of 50 plus?. Its a great way to have fun with your whole family and be physically active instead of being lazy and inactive.

Skis are one of the greatest inventions ever created. They have helped people for thousands of years. They were an important factor to the survival of early humans. Skis also contributed to the victory of armies in war. Finally skis are used for the most popular winter sport ever created. These are some great uses for skis which shows it is one of the greatest inventions ever created. How do you think the world would be today if skis were never invented?


The author's comments:
an argument writing about the invention of skis