Why Soccer is Better Than Lacrosse | Teen Ink

Why Soccer is Better Than Lacrosse

Why Soccer is Better than Lacrosse

Many people believe that lacrosse is the greatest sport ever invented. In the south, this sport is on the rise. It originated in North America and was created by the Native Americans. As the Native American population decreased, so did the number of lacrosse players. The popularity of lacrosse had died down, but now people today decided it was the new sport to play. Teens and young adults all over the country think it’s the most popular sport, but I hate to break it to them because that is in no way true. According to Sporteology, a sports website, soccer is rated number 1 in the world for most watched, played, and most “revenue generating”. And where do we see lacrosse ranked on that website? Nowhere. This is only one way that I believe soccer is better than lacrosse.

Other than the fact that soccer is more popular than lacrosse, therefore perceived as better by the rest of the world, lacrosse (for girls) has terrible uniforms. When you are playing a sport that requires you running up and down a field you should not be forced to wear a skirt! Skirts are for sports where a lot of running back and forth is not a necessity, such as tennis or cheerleading. Unlike in lacrosse, soccer players’ uniforms consist of shorts. This allows a lot of movement without confining you legs into a skirt. On top of that, they also wear goggles to protect their eyes from getting hit with the ball. I am going to guess and say that a baseball and a lacrosse ball are about the same size. Do you see baseball players wearing goggles? No. With sports you are taking a risk of being injured, so you should not be protected from every harmful scenario that could happen to you. In my opinion, lacrosse players dress like wimps. I think many people would agree that soccer at the least has better uniforms.

What you may not know about girl’s lacrosse is that it is not a contact sport. This surprised me because the rules of lacrosse differentiated between boys and girls, and from my knowledge this does not happen with other sports. Why would they change the rules between the genders? Honestly I don’t know, but if I were a lacrosse player I would not like to play in a game where I couldn’t make contact with the opponent. Especially if I knew boys got to push people down and whack other kids with lacrosse sticks. In soccer, the rules are the same for both genders. The game is fair and equal for girls and guys both. This is another reason that I believe soccer is a better sport and hobby than lacrosse.

Both of these sports have their ups and downs, and it’s just my opinion that soccer is a better sport than lacrosse. It all depends on who you are asking though. As you can tell, I believe that soccer is all around a better sport for girls and boys both. You may not have the same outlook as me, but these are the reasons why I consider soccer superior to lacrosse.

yogg said...
lacrosse is better than soccer period.

Braydon said...
This is stupid girls can hit people it's the same rules but different uniforms soccer is just an excuse to being hit honestly this is completely wrong and Sporteology was made in a place where there is no lacrosse soo lacrosse is better and you know it