AAU Basketball | Teen Ink

AAU Basketball

By Kidd_Durant BRONZE, Hammond, Indiana
Kidd_Durant BRONZE, Hammond, Indiana

"Today You Are You, That is Truer Than True, There's No One Alive, That's Youer Than You!"
- Dr. Seuss

AAU BASKETBALL
AAU basketball is the best AAU sport there is. It has competition at high levels, great college exposure, a lot of traveling, and it has a lot of money brought into it and a lot of money being put out.
AAU basketball has multiple levels or age groups where you can go see exciting, competitive games. You can start in 3rd grade and end in 12th grade. On each level you have elite players and elite teams that show out or in other words make the person or team that’s playing them look silly. This is one of the reasons why AAU is so exciting. You get a good laugh at someone else getting humiliated.
AAU is also exciting because, you travel all over the country, sometimes the world. You can be at a tournament in California and be able to visit Hollywood, or be in Wisconsin and be able to go to the Mall of America. The different events your team travels to also, give you a chance of a scholarship offer if you play good consistently. Another thing you might like when traveling is the food. Where you from the people might like a lot of chicken and mashed potatoes but, where you go they might like a lot of fried fish and biscuits. All this could be fun and a exciting story to tell for a boy or girl that’s about 16 and under.
My favorite part of it all is, getting D1 scholarship offers, getting camp invite letters in your mail, and getting sponsored by a top organization in the world; like Nike, Jordan, Under Armor, Adidas, etc. This is the best part because, it lets you know you worked your butt off so hard, that you’re getting rewarded for it with free gear, state or national ranking, sponsorship, college and camp letters, media coverage, or all of this. But, that don’t mean you stop there, keep the work up and always remember, all this stuff sound could be easy and fun but, it won’t be if you don’t work for it.
Just imagine yourself five years from now, with headphone on listening to your pre-game music, shooting around on a basketball court before your first D1 game. That’s nice huh? Now imagine yourself a year or two later, or more, with more expensive headphones on listening to your pre-game warm up songs before your NBA Championship game. That’s a dream right? Well, that dream can come to an end. If you work hard enough it will happen. Your key to this happening is W-O-R-K, WORK! You must work and show out in front of college coaches during your AAU season to get that D1 exposure, so you can make that dream come true.
In conclusion, AAU Basketball is the best AAU sport there is because of its competition on all levels, the places you can travel to, and my favorite part, the work you must put in to be successful.

I am A freshman that play varsity basketball for the Hammond High Wildcats in Hammond, Indiana. I play AAU Basketball for SYF Players and I average 15 points on the AAU circuit and 5 points on varsity.