10 MLB Players to Watch This Year | Teen Ink

10 MLB Players to Watch This Year

By Eric Yee BRONZE, San Ramon, California
Eric Yee BRONZE, San Ramon, California

On March 22, the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Arizona Diamondbacks kicked off the 2014 baseball season in Sydney, Australia. On March 31, the traditional Opening Day games will take place in the United States. A new season means new expectations, and this year, some players will have all eyes on them. Here are just a few:
Matt Adams, 1B, Cardinals: With last year’s late-season injury to Cardinal’s starting first baseman, Allen Craig, manager Mike Matheny turned to the big bench bat of Adams. Adams ripped 17 home runs in 108 games and gave the Cardinals a big push into the playoffs. The loss of Carlos Beltran opens an outfield spot for Craig, making way at first base for Adams. The St. Louis Cardinals sport a daunting lineup that, combined with Adams’ power, will provide him with the opportunity to launch 30 home runs and drive in 95 RBIs.
Jurickson Profar, 2B, Rangers: 2012’s top MLB prospect according to mlb.com’s Jonathan Mayo failed to provide much offense for the Texas Rangers. But with the departure of long-time Rangers’ second baseman Ian Kinsler, Profar will slide in and live up to his top prospect label. The lethal lineup of Alex Rios, Adrian Beltre, Prince Fielder, and Shin Soo Choo gives Profar the chance to hit .290 and drive in 70 RBIs.
Xander Bogaerts, SS, Red Sox: The defending World Champion Boston Red Sox enter this season with a void at shortstop. Veteran free agent Stephen Drew hasn’t expressed interest in returning to Boston, so Bogaerts will look to claim the role. The 21-year-old is ranked as baseball’s second best prospect by mlb.com, and displayed some of his talent at the MLB level last year in 18 games. With a full year to develop into a star, Bogaerts will exceed expectations offensively and defensively this year.
Domonic Brown, OF, Phillies: After a breakout season last year, Brown is bound for an even better season this year. From 2012 to 2013, he increased his home run total from 5 to 27, and earned himself an All-Star appearance. Last season’s injuries limited him to only 139 games last year, but now that he’s fully healthy, Brown will reach 35 home runs and make his case as one of baseball’s best outfielders.
Nolan Arenado, 3B, Rockies: Last year Arenado’s rookie season had many ups and downs. He tied for seventh in the voting for 2013 National League Rookie of the Year, and led his rookie class in games played. Colorado’s Coors Field, a hitter’s dream ballpark, provides a chance for Arenado to inflate his offensive statistics. He will double last year’s home run total from ten to 20 home runs and hit for a solid average.
Chris Davis, 1B, Orioles: Davis took baseball by storm last year by crushing 53 home runs and driving in 138 runs. However, Davis showed signs of fatigue as he regressed from a .315 batting average and 37 home runs to only a .245 and 16 in the second half of last year. This year, Davis is out to prove last year was no fluke. Teamed with All-Stars Adam Jones and Nelson Cruz, Davis should replicate his power numbers from last season and improve his season batting average from .286 to .305.
Ubaldo Jimenez, SP, Orioles: Jimenez was masterful in the second half of last season, posting a 1.82 ERA and a 1.14 WHIP in 13 starts. This was the bounce-back season Jimenez desperately needed after his woeful 2012 season. Jimenez will call the American League East as his new home, and with that comes the powerful lineups of the Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, Tampa Bay Rays, and Toronto Blue Jays. So, despite last season’s revival, expect Jimenez to regress to a 4.50 ERA and a sub-par 8-8 record.
Evan Gattis, C, Braves: Gattis provided the Atlanta Braves with the missing offense of the team’s highly touted, yet quiet trio of B.J. and Justin Upton, and Jason Heyward. He posted impressive power numbers with 21 home runs and 61 RBIs in only 105 games. Now that longtime catcher Brian McCann is with the New York Yankees, Gattis has catcher all to himself this year. Gattis will take advantage of more at-bats and increase his batting average to .275, while hitting 30 home runs in his first full healthy season with the team.
Jedd Gyorko, 2B, Padres: Gyorko led all rookies with 23 home runs and was one of only a handful of bright spots for the San Diego Padres last year. Gyorko needs to work on his plate discipline and lower his strikeout rate, but that adjustment should come with a couple of years of experience. Despite the weak lineup around him, Gyorko will marginally improve his offense power numbers. His biggest improvement will come from increasing his batting average from .249 to around .270, making him a top-10 second baseman in the league.
Johnny Cueto, SP, Reds: Cueto’s injury-plagued 2013 season didn’t allow himself to back up his Cy-Young-caliber 2012 season. He was limited to only 11 games in 2013 and hit the disabled list three times. Despite his injuries, his career 3.53 ERA and 7 strikeouts per nine innings ratio proves he is dangerous pitcher. The Cincinnati Reds have been very cautious in overworking their ace this offseason and in Spring Training. This year, Cueto is expected to be fully healthy, allowing him to return to his dominating form, which will be a 3.30 ERA and a 12-5 record.