Clone Wars | Teen Ink

Clone Wars

Every girl is carrying it. It is this year’s best ‘accessory’. People are lending it to each other. Hundreds of facebook groups have been created on it. There are deep discussions on it. And the biggest debate going on is who is better- Edward or Jacob? Twilight has truly become an obsession.

I like Twilight as much as the next girl does, but what I can’t stand are the reasons people have for reading it. Most people just read it because it’s the “in thing” and everyone else is reading it. Twilight has taken over the place of Harry Potter. Wherever I go, I see girls carrying it. In place of a clutch bag, the Twilight books are in their hands, be it home time, break, or even outside school. They just have to show everyone that they are also reading it. On Facebook, they all join Twilight groups and send bumper stickers to each other. If a girl had not read it, then she would feel left out. So to have something to talk about, girls read Twilight. Then they all can talk with their friends and squeal “Edward is so hot!!” together.

This is not the case with all girls. Some of us read it because we actually enjoy reading and like the book, not like others who hate reading but still read Twilight. I read Twilight a year ago when most people in my school had not yet heard of it. But now, every girl can be seen with it, and for most of them, the reason is that it’s “in fashion”. Most people blindly follow the trends just to fit in. Every girl wears pumps, over sized bags and aviators because they are in right now. Same is with music. People listen to Akon and Miley Cyrus because they are the ones who are popular and talked about. People have no opinion of their own. They just follow the fashion. This is our society: tote-carrying, Twilight- reading, pump-wearing girls, and the boys with the same spiky hair and clothing. When skinny jeans were in, all women were wearing them. It was a painful sight to see a Pakistani woman with huge thighs and hips stuffed into skinny jeans. This shows how most people blindly follow the fashion. They don’t care if it is good for them or suits them; they just do it because that’s what everybody is doing.

I am not against Twilight. I just don’t like why most girls read it. Someone decides reading is in again, and everyone follows. When I see a girl who does not like Twilight, I applaud her, not because she is against a great book, but because she has an opinion of her own. A cool person is one, after all, who has his own opinion and tastes, not one who makes other people’s opinion his own.

These are my thoughts about the "Twilight Trend".I like Twilight a lot, but some people just read it because everyone else is. I think it's pitiful how people want to be the same instead of having their own opinions and views and being brave enough to express them.

LittleRedDeliriousPrince SILVER, Parma Heights, Ohio
I think Stephanie Meyer did a great job of writing a good and worthy book, just like great authors like J.K. and Laura Ingalls before her. And I agree, most people probably read the book because others were. I read it, and I enjoyed it. But at least it got teenagers to look up from their phones and read a bit, right?

abnormal PLATINUM, Jonesboro, Georgia

Truth is eternal. Knowledge is changeable. It is disastrous to confuse them.

-Madeleine L'Engle

So true! Everyone has read Twilight just because its in fashion, and other authors have taken notice and have began writing books about vampires and wolves.   

This is so true, and i completely agree with it! Twilight is just not good enough to take place of better books like Harry Potter...! great article =)