Is Golf a Sport? | Teen Ink

Is Golf a Sport?

By Connor Flaten BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Connor Flaten BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

“A bad attitude is worse than a bad swing” Anonymous ART. I think golf is a sport, just a sport that doesn’t involve a lot of sweat. My opinion could be backed up in many ways, and will also be discussed, such as the activity involved in the sport, ingredients to become an olympic sport, as well as if it should be considered a sport.

Is the sport active enough? I don’t think it is if you compare it to a sport like football, hockey etc. but if you compare it to a sport like tennis and ping pong then I definitely would say it is active enough. “If a sport can be played by a player with a broken leg(Tiger Woods 2008 U.S Open) then I would say it definitely isn’t a sport.” This quote was written by John Strege in an article on golfdigest.com. I will say that it would be pretty hard to play golf with a broken leg because I would need my two feet to get the swing right. I think just because Tiger Woods played with a broken leg doesn’t make it not a sport, in the NFL people play with broken toes and fingers, are they going to say that football isn’t a sport now? I don’t know how this is but I read that golf players burn as much calories as baseball players. They don’t burn a lot of calories if they have a caddy or if they ride in a cart. If they burn that much calories I think it could be a olympic sport then.

I read in an article on procon.org that golf is going to be in the olympics in the 2016 summer olympics. The last time that golf was in the olympics was the 1900 and 1904 summer olympics. If you ask me I wouldn’t have a problem with golf being in the olympics because they have “sports” like ping pong in the olympics which I think should definitely not be in the olympics. Everybody thinks golf shouldn’t be in the olympics because of all the walking and little exercise. Peoples main reasons they think golf shouldn’t be in the olympics is it’s not fun to watch at all like all of the other intense sports that are in the olympics right now. Some of the sports in the olympics I’m wondering if they are just games not sports.

People think it’s a game because it doesn’t involve a lot of thinking or doing. An article on procon.org stated an opinion that it’s not a sport if it can be played while drinking or smoking. There is a professional golfer who smokes while he is playing all the time, his name is John Daly, he is well known just because he smokes when he is playing. That is what a lot of people do when they play golf, they drink and smoke because golf is a laid back sport where all they could do is drink and smoke and socialize. I think it’s a sport because they burn as much calories as football and baseball players do. Professionals make a lot of money doing this sport so why would someone pay them that much for doing a game?

Is this sport active enough? Does it have the ingredients to be a olympic sport? Is it a game or is it a sport? My final opinion is that it is a sport. It has all of the other ingredients that sports and olympic sports do, it is more active than a lot of olympic sports in the olympics, it beats ping pong which should definitely not be in the olympics because they don’t do anything except for swing a paddle.

I wrote my opinion on if I think golf is a sport.