flash of fame | Teen Ink

flash of fame

By julysosa BRONZE, Bronx, New York
julysosa BRONZE, Bronx, New York

Flash of Fame

My play is about an 18 year old boy who is a pitcher, trying to reach the MLB. One day,he wakes up feeling good and excited for his showcase.He gets up out of bed and falls down because of a sharp pain in his leg.He goes to the doctor and they asked him, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” he answer “A professional baseball player”. The doctor then tells him he has a tumor in his left leg. As five years pass he gets surgery in his left leg, gets rid of the tumor and decides to try out for his showcase again. They gave him another chance and he threw his first pitch, 97 mph, his second pitch 99mph, his third pitch 103 mph, his fourth 105mph and tumbles on his fifth pitch throwing 85mph.

CHARACTERS
Randy Tejada

John Morales

Dr. Fernando Grullon

Brandon Estrada
Castillo Luna (The Scout)

At Rise: Randy’s House. His bedroom, Messy,socks...clothes..dirty uniforms..empty plates of food. An alarm goes off. * He wakes up and stretches* .

*SCENE ONE*
RANDY: Ouch! Ouch!
(He tries to walk but falls to the floor and he picks up his cell phone.)

1
DR.GRULLON: Dr. Grullon. How may I help you?

RANDY: (Yelling.) My leg!

DR.GRULLON: Who’s this? What Happen? Are You okay?

RANDY: My name is randy, I just woke up, while I tried to get out of bed I got this sharp pain in my leg and It hurts really badly when I try to walk. (Feeling terrible.)

DR.GULLON:I need you to come to my office, as soon as you can. Are you able to walk or do you need an ambulance to come and get you?

RANDY: I can’t walk without feeling this sharp pain in my leg. Can you send an ambulance over to get me?

DR.GULLON:It’s on its way.
(Hang’s Up. An hour goes by and Randi finds himself in the exam room waiting for Dr.Grullon.)

*SCENE TWO*

DR.GRULLON: Randy, I just got the results back from your x-ray, the results say that you have a tumor in your left leg.

RANDY: (Yelling.) A tumor?What?! I have a showcase in 2 days and your telling me I have a tumor?! How is this even possible?

DR.GRULLON: I'm sorry Mr.Tejada, you won’t be able to participate in the showcase on Thursday, we need to be able to remove the tumor from your leg as soon as possible. I’m scheduling you for surgery

2

tomorrow morning and recovery is usually takes 4 or five years the least.

RANDY: Surgery? You gotta be kidding me! Just yesterday I got a call from one of the top scouts in the MLB and now you're telling me I need surgery?Why are you doing this to me? Why!?

DR.GRULLON: (Dr.Grullon looks down.)
Mr.Tejada, I have some forms for you to fill out about your medical history before we do the surgery. I am very sorry I have to be the one to tell you this Mr.Tejada.

RANDY:Is there any other way I could get around this?Is surgery the only option?

DR.GRULLON: I’m sorry but no, surgery is the only thing we have to offer you sir. But for now until the surgery I can give you medicine to ease the pain in order for you to be able to walk and get around.

RANDY:Do you understand what this means? I was one step away from achieving my dreams of becoming a professional (Major league baseball) player. That’s all I ever wanted to be since I was a child and now you’re telling me I need to put my dreams on hold? Do you know how hard this is for me? I'm just a poor kid from the Dominican Republic, trying to make it in this world. Back home, my parents can’t even afford a house, so how am I supposed to pay for this surgery? How am I supposed to live like this?HOW? (with a command voice)) I’m just trying to be big and famous, that’s what I always wanted to be. But, I guess I just need to tell to my dreams “nope, I ain't ready for this yet”.

3
DR.GULLON: You're not the only kid who has gone through this. I
also grew in the Dominican Republic and I wanted it to be a professional baseball player too. When i was about the same age as you i lost my dad, due to a car accident with a drunk driver. So my mother was the only person supporting me and herself. I know , I’m very sorry sir. And I know how you feel Randy. (Sigh.) Believe it or not I went through the same thing you’re going through but, worked hard to achieve my dreams of becoming a Doctor (shakes his head slowly.). Don’t worry about the money I just know how you feel with the whole money thing i will pay for everything.

Randy: (a tear comes down from randy’s eyes with a mixed of joyness and sadness.) Thank you Doctor! And I don’t know how I will pay you, there’s not a lot of people like you this days. I just don't have any word to say to you.

(As five years pass, randy recover from his surgery and with a side of hope he tries to try out again for his showcase and he picks up his phone calls the same scout that wanted him before.)

*SCENE THREE*

Castillo: Hello, how are you? with whom I’m speaking?

Randy: Hello, my name is Randy Tejada I’m from the bronx but I was born in the Dominican Republic. I was the same kid you called five years ago when I was 18 years old but now I think I’m more mature and more ready for another showcase.

Castillo: Yes, I remember you how’s going for you Ranzi Or Randy?

4
Randy: (giggles.) is randy sir and i’ve been good and you? and have you heard about the pitcher the yankees got Tanaka?

Castillo: i’ve been good and yes I’ve heard. Come to my baseball school and we will talk more.

Randy: Okay i’ll be there in a hour

(Randy hangs up his cell phone, randy gets ready for his day that he was always wanted, as the hour has pass Randy appears in baseball school, castillo first impression was …)

*SCENE FOUR*

(At the baseball school.)

Randy: (Walk in all excited.) hey sir! I’m randy, the boy who was talking to you on the phone like about a hour ago.

Castillo: oh hey! let me see what you got kid, give me 5 laps go!

Randy: (finishes his five laps.) I’m ready to throw.

(as Randy start to throw his feeling really good to throw, while his throwing Castillo start getting impress by the second he is looking at Randy. When Randy gets up in the mound, he throws his pitches really good and in the last pitch he tumbles and everybody got scared because they thought the tumor got back on his leg.)

*The end*

5