Bows or Guns | Teen Ink

Bows or Guns

By Alex Orberson BRONZE, White Heath, Illinois
Alex Orberson BRONZE, White Heath, Illinois

Bows or Guns? What do you prefer?

A 45 pound draw hunting bow has the killing ability of a 30.06 rifle. What makes one better than the other? How does hunting with each affect your choice? Given that you can hunt with a gun or a bow, I believe that hunting with a bow requires more skill than just pulling up on an animal and shooting it.

One reason that I believe that hunting with a bow takes more skill is because guns are more mechanical than bows. To put it another way, there are a lot of parts to a gun, and that means more chance of a breakdown. (I,cI) If a gun breaks, it’s a pain to fix, and you will lose that time to hunt while it gets fixed. (I,cI)

The second reason that bows are better than guns is that some guns hurt a lot more when you shoot them. For example, the recoil of a gun can leave bruises and even dislocate your shoulder. In fact, it is even possible for a gun to blow up if it is loaded with the wrong size of ammunition. The chance to be injured increases with the use of the gun.

In addition, bows are more compact than some guns. They are a lot lighter than the majority of guns. The weight of the bow can differ with each person; in fact, it is all up to their preference. (I;t,I) When you are in a tree, you want to be able to move around a lot swifter than you can when you have a really long gun or a heavy weapon. For this reason, I believe the lighter bow is the better choice. Others may feel that a gun is more proficient because it shoots farther and the weight doesn’t bother them. That may be true for some, but I still feel the weight and the accuracy of the bow make it a better overall choice. (I,cI)

To sum up, it is better to use a bow for hunting in place of a gun. Bows have less mechanical parts and thus break down less, they do not cause as many injuries when used, and they are more compact. Try a bow the next time you hunt; you will see the improvement in your hunting experience. (I;I)