How to Make Homemade Cheez-Its | Teen Ink

How to Make Homemade Cheez-Its

By Jpstites BRONZE, Bend, Oregon
Jpstites BRONZE, Bend, Oregon

How to Make Homemade Cheez-Its

Cheez-its are really good and super addicting, but they are full of preservatives and bad chemicals. Have you ever wondered how to make your own without all of the bad stuff? Even if you haven’t, it’s a great and easy snack to make on your own! With only 5 simple ingredients, you can make your own that taste just like the store-bought ones!

The first thing you’ll need to do is make sure you have 1 cup of shredded cheese (your choice of flavor), 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 4 tablespoons of salt, 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, and 4 tablespoons of ice water. Simple huh?

1)You will have to mix the cheese, butter, and half of the needed amount of salt. Add in the flour and mix it until the dough looks like fluffy little clumps. 2)The water has to be added-while the mixer is running-until a soft dough forms.
3)You will need to divide the dough in 2, form it into a disk shape, wrap it in plastic wrap, and put it into the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
4) Once you get it out of the fridge, roll out the dough into ? in. Then, using a pastry cutter, cut the dough into 1 in. squares.
5)Preheat the oven to 375 and line the baking sheets with parchment paper.
6)Transfer the squares onto the baking sheets and sprinkle the rest of the salt onto the cheez-its. Bake for about 7-10 minutes, or until puffed and crunchy.

Now you have your very own cheez-its without all of the junk in them! And they taste just as good or even better than the store-bought ones!They are a great snack for school and just around the house. Enjoy!!

I made a batch of them and they are delicious! But they don't make too much so if you want a bunch of them, I would double the batch. :)