The Blessing of Basketball | Teen Ink

The Blessing of Basketball

The Blessing of Basketball
Basketball brings great benefits to people who want to be fit, exercise, have fun, be with friends, and for the people who love playing the game. The game of basketball is quite easy to play. All you need is a hoop, a ball, and some friends. The rules are very basic and easy to learn (Reasons). Basketball allows humans to lose weight, stay fit, and be social. People also watch basketball live or on TV and that can be very entertaining (Basketball). All around the world basketball has the whole package for different kinds of people.

First, basketball isn't a standing around game waiting for the ball, no its a sport with contact, hustle, and teamwork. Adults and teens don't have to worry about not staying fit for this game. It works all the muscles in one's body. There is lots of running and being agile (Basketball). On average for someone who plays an hour long game runs between four and five miles. Basketball adds to humans the running factor to someone's daily workout schedule. Endurance becomes easier and easier due to the running. This will help humans with other sports and regular life. Losing weight has to do with burning more calories than you consume, so going out and playing some hoops once a week will lessen weight for people. This is a fun way to stay active and a person doesn't need someone else to play, all they need is themselves (Reasons). Even if people don't love the sport and don't want to play it every day doesn't mean that it's not fun and healthy.

Second, the game is just plain fun. People can bring their friends and family to play a pick up game just for fun, not really competitive. Basketball let’s people work on their game and play it by themselves, but when they play it they are kind of socializing when not playing competitively. Teams are allowed to travel to play other teams and traveling is fun seeing new places. Also while going to travel they have the chance to meet new teams, which leads to meeting potential new friends that both agree on at least one thing, basketball (Basketball). For those who love the game and play it every day it's still fun just more intense. People who love the game and ball everyday have the motivation and crave to pick up the ball. To be able to shoot it and hear the sound of it going through the hoop is what make those people smile. Knowing the side of the people that play basketball and have dreams bigger than high school ball; being able to play every day is a blessing. These people want to work on fundamentals, drills, staying fit, dribbling, shooting, and defense. They want to be able to have more creative ideas. The game is very addicting (Basketball).

Third, people look up to basketball idols are in the NBA. The general public likes to be entertained and watching the NBA is a form of that. Humans have role models in the NBA like Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant, and Derrick Rose (Basketball). These superstars started somewhere and they worked extremely hard and I personally try to strive for greatness. We tend to copy, act, and want to be like our role models. For example, I really like the NBA's Miami Heat starting shooting guard, Dwyane Wade. He is one of my favorite role models. My friends and I try to do tricks and cool moves by him on our own time. Of course I want to play like these stars but then I realize that I want to be me, play like me, and some days have kids who look up to me, like Wade did for me.

Ball, hoops, life, whatever you call it, it is still basketball. The health benefits, having fun, socializing, and playing the game are reasons why this game I think is great for you. "Good health and increased life expectancy"- (Reasons). This quote pretty much means if someone has good health then they will live longer so if somebody doesn't know what sport to play then go for basketball it can do it all. Personally, this is my favorite sport, every day I try to play and every time I play I get better. The factors of playing basketball are very reasonable, enjoyable, and very healthy. Endless possibilities burst into my mind when basketball is considered.

Bibliography
"Basketball Is My Favorite Sport." Teen Ink. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Oct. 2013.
"Reasons to Play Basketball." ISport. N.p., n.d. Web. 2013.