The Olympics | Teen Ink

The Olympics

By BANEE BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
BANEE BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington

Dear Teen Ink,
Did you know that the Olympic Games have been going on for longer than historians can tell? Much of athletic life has evolved around the Olympics. It gives young athletes hope that they can one day compete in them. The impact they have is not valued enough. They unite countries and create friendships and role models.
I have been researching the topic of The Olympics for our 8th grade culminating project. Some key things I’ve learned about it are Ancient Greeks used them for religious meaning but where stopped when the Romans invaded Greece. They were put to a halt for a number of years until a poet thought to bring them back. I think this is one of the best things a poet has ever done.
I wonder if the Olympics will ever stop. I hope they do not. There is many reasons behind this but my main one is I just enjoy watching them. Since they only happen every 4 years it makes it all the better when they come around.
One other impactful aspect of the topic I explored described some of the issues evolving from the games. There have been a lot of political issues and killings. Many countries have used the Olympics as an opportunity to protest world issues. This could be considered a good or bad thing.
I am starting to realize what this can do for an athlete. It shows them the best in the world and sets them a target. I think this is extraordinary. The world’s best coming together for everyone to see. They inspire dreams and hope.
I think the way I want this project to impact me is by inspiring me to do athletic activities. I hope presenting it will get my classmates interested in them as well. The Olympics are a huge part of our life in general.