concussion epidemic | Teen Ink

concussion epidemic

April 4, 2013
By brandonhernke BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
brandonhernke BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

There is a lot of different to prevent concussions like changing the rules or maybe make illegal hits or maybe even better equipment. Concussions in the nfl are one of the more serious injuries long term the players can get and it probably the most common. They can lead to many severe brain injuries and permanent brain damage.
Someone can get a concussion fairly easy like hitting the ground hard or hitting your head on a pole. how to get one is you hit your head hard on something then your brain hits the side of your head. Then, how you get a more serious concussion if your head hits harder on a hard surface or maybe a helmet like in the NFL.The harder the hit the bigger the concussion then a bigger chance for brain damage.
The results of major concussions or many concussions can lead to irreversible damage in your brain. One of the symptoms is brain damage which can affect a whole lifetime of problems. Another would be depression which also can be serious in the athlete's performance. Suicide is a major effect from concussions which will not only be bad but also really bad for their family and fans.
CIE is a protein in the brain that develops and is found in people with Alzheimer CIE is found in some NFL players after they die then their brains are examined this was from the week . so that means NFL players could get Alzheimer earlier in their life.so they might need to go into a assisted living home cause they cant take care of themselves.
Concussions can also be very expensive for the players, team, and the whole NFL franchise. The cost to get better helmets to every player could cost the team and the NFL a lot of money and the players could get paid less. also insurance cost for injuries could also go up and up. If a team doesn't report an injury it can get fined for not doing so. The NFL in 2009 had 5.4 concussions a week, in 2010 7.6, and then 8.4 in 2011 according to PBS front line.
so really playing in the NFL would be really cool there is also a really dangerous side to the pro football. You can get a lot of money but also a lot of brain damage. Now you now know a little inside on the concussions in the NFL.