Biased Salaries | Teen Ink

Biased Salaries

April 4, 2013
By BrandonS SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
BrandonS SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In the NFL today people say that players get paid way too much. People only hear about the players that get paid a lot of money. Statistically most of the NFL players get paid under a million dollars. NFL salaries are made by the different positions that the players play; some positions get paid more than others. I disagree. Today I am comparing the positions that I disagree with, and the positions that are the similar position. They are safeties, tight ends, linebackers, and running backs.
The first that I’m comparing is safeties and cornerbacks. In football a cornerback’s job is multiple types of coverage for the wide receiver. The "bump and run" coverage. In this type of coverage, the cornerback will block the wide receiver at the line to delay him, just as the play starts; then he lets go and guards him. The other jobs are man coverage and zone coverage. Man is to flat out guard so up close man on man, zone is that he is responsible for one part of the field as stated by Mark Lawrence an author on California science. The secondary job is to blitz or stop the run from going any further. There’s two types of safeties the strong safety, and free safety. The strong safety’s job tends to be to play up closer to the line and help out in stopping the other team from running the ball. He is also responsible if players go into motion in the backfield and then go out for passes, for example the halfback or fullback. The free safety’s job tends to be to stay back a bit, watch the play unfold, and be where ever the ball is. If there's a pass, the free safety is definitely supposed to be nearby the receiver by the time the ball gets there. Both safeties are supposed to be sure tacklers, and it's very nice if they also deliver "lights out" hits from time to time. If the offense puts a receiver in the slot, then the free safety may be called upon to cover that receiver.
The physical characteristics of cornerbacks are being very fast; they are typically anywhere from about 5'9" to 6'2" and weigh about 180 to 200 pounds; They can also run at near Olympic speeds, as stated by mark Lawrence a author of five books on California Science. The mental characteristics are to be able to know their down-and-distance tendencies, reading offensive formations, anticipate their plays, and reacting to receiver’s routes based on their alignment and individual tendencies and to now when to stop or spin the wide receiver. There are two different safety positions: the strong safety and the free safety. Now the strong safety tends to be a bit larger and stronger than the free safety. A typical strong safety will weigh about 210 pounds; the free safety tends to be just a little smaller, perhaps 200 pounds, and just a bit faster. The mental characteristics are the same only added on to them as wit and athleticism as stated by mark Lawrence an author on California science.
So in the end safeties are the same except they need to be larger, stronger, and faster than cornerbacks to be their backup, which happens a lot. The average pay of the cornerbacks is number 5 of the positions at 1, 193, 666 dollars, said by Sports Illustrated. The safeties average pay is number 9 at 947, 847 which is lot less for the same quality and more. Seeing the jobs and demands of the safety versus the cornerback then what they get paid really opened my eyes. So in the end it seems that safeties have to be more toned. Yet they get paid less than a cornerback? I disagree with that safeties should be paid the same if not more.
The next is tight ends and wide receivers. The receivers have "routes" to run; the receiver has a particular place to run to. They don't just run around at random. These routes are important because the quarterback also know the routes and therefore knows where the receiver is suppose to be. This allows the quarterback to find a receiver quickly. First, the tight end has responsibilities to block. If there is a cornerback, safety or linebacker trying to sneak in and ambush the quarterback, the tight ends job is to get a good solid hit on this guy and slow him down. If it looks like the quarterback is going to get into trouble due to lots of guys trying to ambush him, the tight end must not only hit one of these guys, but he must then quickly release and get into the open. The tight end will be what is called an outlet receiver—it's his job to catch the ball if the quarterback gets into trouble and has no time to find an open receiver. Finally, the tight end is supposed to be a good blocker so that if the quarterback calls a running play, the tight end can help bulldoze a path for the runner with the ball. The tight end will often be sent out to catch passes in the middle of the field, where he will be covered by a couple of linebackers instead of cornerbacks.
The wide receivers are anywhere from 5'7" to 6'6", but because they have to be fast they are normally light by football standards, 175 to 215 pounds. A tight end is usually a big guy so that he's a big target for a troubled quarterback - typically perhaps 6'4" or taller, and about 250 pounds. He also has to be a fast runner, not necessarily Olympic sprinter fast, but pretty fast. And he's got to be a tough guy who can deliver a big hit on an ambushing defender, while creating an unfair matchup when lining up to be a receiver as stated by Mark Lawrence an author on California Science. The wide receiver is numbered 7 at 1,054,437 dollars; while Sports Illustrated numbers the tight end 11 of 11 at 863,414 dollars, again. So again the pay opens my eyes. Yet they do the same thing only tight ends have to block on a lot more plays then the wide receiver; and yet the same thing as safeties and the cornerbacks. They do a lot more yet they get paid almost 200,000 dollars less—it just doesn’t make any sense!
The final is the Running Back and the Middle Linebacker. The running back is one of the two most important people on the offense. The running back has several important jobs to do; if the quarterback calls a running play, he will hand the ball to the running back. The running back then has the job of finding a hole in the defense and trying to get as far as he can. If the quarterback calls a passing play, the running back will often have the job of staying near his quarterback for a second or two and blocking any defensive players who make it past the offensive line. Finally, the running back will often be sent out as an additional receiver. The job of the Middle Linebacker is to be the “quarterback of the defense” that means make sure all the other defensive players are lined up correctly and know what scheme they're going to use on the next play to try to stymie the offence. The middle linebacker will also be responsible to see that the running back has no success running between the tackles. In the passing game, if the running back or full back comes into the middle of the field to be an outlet receiver, the middle linebacker's job is to disrupt the pass and make the back regret every coming into his territory. These guys are the "enforcers" of the defense. Their job is to also make sure that nothing good happens for the offense in the middle of the field, and that the running back has trouble sleeping tonight due to his many bruises and pains. The characteristics of a running back are two types: small agile, quick, agility, and awareness. The second type is larger and powerful using the power that they have to bust through the line. From 6' tall and about 250 pounds, down to as small as 5'6" and 160 pounds.
The middle linebacker will typically weigh 245 to 255 pounds. He has to be a very good runner, as his responsibility on a running play is to be where ever the ball is, either making the tackle or helping. Running back is number 8 at 957,360 dollars also, by Sports Illustrated. The linebacker is numbered at 6 with 1,175,788 dollars. Are you starting to see the repetition here? There still getting paid less but for more characteristics that can be harder to come by. It just doesn’t make very much sense that these positions get paid less for more demanding positions.
Safeties, tight ends, and running backs are the under paid players in the NFL today; some positions that get paid more than others shouldn’t because they just require different characteristic. But people only see the salaries of the top notch players, the young, not so good players get more normal salaries. That is why I think that some of the positions should get paid more than others.


The author's comments:
the argument of nfl players are getting paid too much