The Australian-Assassin | Teen Ink

The Australian-Assassin

April 3, 2013
By OkTaYnE195 BRONZE, Albuquerque, New Mexico
OkTaYnE195 BRONZE, Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
There will be many challenges ahead.
And I am looking forward to them.
-Cael Sanderson


When I think of Cavaliers point guard Kyrie Irving the only word that come to mind is The Best! The skills that this man has are incredible. Averaging 18.5 points per game and with a crossover that could put anyone on their back, how could he not be rated one of the best point guards in the last few years?
Kyrie Irving was born on March 23rd, 1992 in Melbourne Australia. You could say his skill was genetics. His father played college basketball at Boston University and pro ball in Australia for the Bulleen Boomers. Kyrie went to Montclair Kimberley Academy his freshman and sophomore years in high school. He was only the second student in the high school’s history to score 1,000 points.
Irving verbally committed to Duke University on October 22, 2009, a television broadcast on ESPNU. He led the team with 15 points per game and 53.2% shooting in the first eight games. He was also averaging five assists, 3 rebounds and 1 steal per game. In Duke’s 9th game of the season, Irving suffered a severe ligament injury in his right big toe that sidelined him throughout the regular season. He then returned for the first round of the NCAA tournament. Duke lost to Arizona in the Sweet Sixteen, Irving scored 28 points in what was his last game in his college career.
Kyrie Irving entered the 2011 NBA Draft and was the number 1 pick by the Cleveland Cavaliers. Irving was off to a quick start in the start of his NBA career where in the first ten games he scored 20+ points. Including the Cavaliers loss to the Nets where he scored 32 points, 21 of those points in the 4th quarter alone. In a Cavaliers practice on July 14, 2012, Irving suffered a broken right hand after slapping it against a wall after committing a turnover. After surgery to repair his hand Irving returned shortly to the game.
On an appearance on Sportsnation Irving was asked to come up with one word to describe him as a pro basketball player, he replied simply that he wanted to be called The Australian-Assassin. With a little attitude adjustment and a few more seasons of him putting up the big stats he currently puts up, I feel that Kyrie Irving can become one of the greatest point guards to ever play the game.


The author's comments:
My opinion on Kyrie Irving