Performance Enhancing Drugs in Sports | Teen Ink

Performance Enhancing Drugs in Sports

Is it or is it not cheating? Performance Enhancing Drugs (PEDs) are becoming a huge talk in the sports world. PEDs are being noticed a lot more in active and former players which could take away any awards they have earned or could suspend a player. Steroids are one of the most common PEDs used in sports. Steroids build muscle mass to improve an athlete’s performance, such as it improves speed, jumping ability, throwing ability, lifting and muscle recovery. I still believe using PEDs is cheating.

PEDs are found in almost every sport and in every sport there is a suspension or consequence for use of PEDs. I believe using PEDs is cheating but PEDs don’t always help in sports. In baseball, steroids make you stronger but you still have to hit the ball solid. Also with the new strength you might have to adjust your swing. So PEDs don’t really help you in that aspect. PEDs are also dangerous because it is a drug; drugs are dangerous. They affect your body. PEDs are now very common in high school, college and professional athletes. In 2008 4-12% of high school boys used PEDs (www.healio.com). The NCAA reported 1.1% of athletes using PEDs (www.healio.com). Some famous athletes who have been caught using PEDs are Jose Canseco, Mark McGwire, Lance Armstrong, Alex Rodriguez, Manny Ramirez and Marian Jones. Even though they are some of the best athletes, they used PEDs and it is hard for me to respect them. They are cheaters.

On the other side of things some people believe PEDs should be legal because it would be a bunch of super athletes dominating the sports. Yes, I believe it would be interesting but PEDs are pathetic and people who have used them should be ashamed.

PEDs are drugs used to improve performance, but using them is cheating and wrong. PEDs aren’t right. They are drugs that are supposed to enhance your playing ability but they don’t always help you. Others believe that if all athletes use PEDs the games would more interesting because everyone would be super athletes. PEDs are used to get out of really working out, they improve your ability in almost every way, except the good way. Cheating is bad and cowardly.

"Healio: Medical Specialty News, Journals, and Free CME." Healio: Medical Specialty News, Journals, and Free CME. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Mar. 2013.
"ProCon.org - Pros and Cons of Controversial Issues." ProCon.org - Pros and Cons of Controversial Issues. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Mar. 2013.