An Artsy Sport

There has been a debate for quite a while now about whether or not dancing is a sport. I, personally, can only speak for classical ballet, which I believe is a sport. An artsy sport. Even though ballet is performed, and not played, it is still a sport. It is just as hard, if not harder than other sports, and is just as painful.

Everyone thinks that cheerleading is a sport. Why then, is it, that no one thinks dancing is? The only difference I can find between these two is that one is performed on the field, while the other is on a stage.

All dancers know how hard it is to control your body and contort it in ways you never thought were possible, all with a smile on your face. In no other sport is there such a high demand for perfection. A dance will be considered a failure if one person makes one tiny mistake. In no other sport are the chances for failure so high. In no other sport is teamwork, collaboration, and communication more important.

There are shin splints, pulled muscles, bloody feet, ugly toes, and general soreness. These are just some of the things that the everyday ballerina faces. Most of these injuries are ignored until it is impossible to dance. When the pain is too great and dancing is only a dream, every dancer feels that he or she needs to sit in the front of class and watch to absorb information. In no other sport is the dedication so great.
I spend at least 16 hours a week at my dance studio, and at home, I am constantly stretching and practicing my dance. I just recovered from a pulled hamstring, and the pain all over my body is overwhelming. But I smile and go on with my life. In no other sport would this happen. In no other sport would someone risk their well-being to play. Dancers are the bravest players of them all.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

LakeSilencio said...
Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:25 pm:
Good job. If I danced, perhaps I would feel similarly.