Runner | Teen Ink

Runner

The track is a battlefield filled with competitors all striving for one goal to be the best they can be, to be number one. The world is filled with its ups and downs, but for a runner there are no excuses once it is time to run you’re expected to give it your all. No regret, to leave everything on the track. To clear your mind of all the negativity, and focus to strive in order to reach your goal, to dig deep and drive through the last lap and finish. To knock down the walls in your mind that always tell your body that you cannot finish the race you started, like Usain Bolt said after he broke the world record for the 200m “I ran the corner as hard as possible, and once I entered the straight told myself to keep it up, don't die on me now.”

Never give up and to keep your head held high even if you lose, a Coach once told me as long as you laid all you have on the track, as long as you know you gave it your all. Michael Johnson who holds the world’s fastest 400m time said ” Life is often compared to a marathon, but I think it is more like being a sprinter; long stretches of hard work punctuated by brief moments in which we are given the opportunity to perform at our best.” You have to want to win, and then it comes down to how bad you want to win. One thing about track is that it is a learning experience, anyone can run but not everyone is good at it. Like my coach told us after we had made it to regional’s during practice, he said this is the time you need to start asking yourself how much you want to win, you have to want to go to state more than you want anything. When we step on the track our heart starts beating for joy. Runners on your mark… Set… Bang the sound of the screaming crowd cheering you on. Those last words are heard by runners before it all begins the moment your stomach is filled with butterflies. The moment your adrenaline kicks in and you feel your heart beating against your chest. The moment and place legends are born is on the track.

It is about dedication and hard work, about a track runner

on Jun. 29 2012 at 10:05 pm
streetsmart21 BRONZE, Reading, Massachusetts
Good opinion piece. It is interesting that running is as much of a mental sport as is physical. Motivation can help out a lot of runners out there.