Reading | Teen Ink

Reading

Ever since I could remember reading has been an important part of my life. I read everywhere, from car trips, on the bus, and nightly before bedtime. Reading has always been an integral part of my life. I read so much that I eventually required reading glasses. When we moved to Maryland in 2006, I began to read the Washington Post, where I discovered the National Book Festival, our newfound family tradition. Each September we would make our way down to the National Mall and listen to book talks, explore the different pavilions, and best of all we got to ask the authors questions. I enjoyed watching the authors’ lectures, as well as learning about new and interesting books that were being released in the coming year. Over the years I have seen financial analyst Jim Cramer, Children’s Poet Laureate Jack Prelutsky, and was able to speak with Dr. Sanjay Gupta of CNN. This year’s National Book Festival was especially exciting because it expanded to two days, and my family enjoyed both days thoroughly. Further, this event is extremely gratifying to me because I get the opportunity to see authors who I have idolized in the past and to listen to the advice and stories that the authors have to tell outside of their writings. Attending the National Book Festival has opened my interests and taught me that reading will always hold a special significance for me. These experiences taught me that I have a great deal to learn in this life.