Concussions in Softball

With any sport, comes injuries. Softball is a sport that is growing in popularity, but also in number of head injuries. More and more girls are getting concussions while playing and new safety guidelines should be made. Every player knows that you should avoid getting hit, but sometimes it happens and more training to prevent these injuries should also be planned.

Girls who play softball are experiencing more head injuries during games and practices. Around 35,000 players got concussions while playing in 2009. This number is too high and in order to lower it, new safety guidelines need to be made. Players should also receive more training to help prevent injuries. Unfortunately, there are times when injuries, like concussions, cannot be precluded because accidents happen and this is one of the risks of playing softball.

I know what it feels like to get a concussion because I got one while playing softball. I could not prevent it because a girl on my own team accidentally hit me in the side of the head. New safety equipment can help prevent concussions from occurring. Helmets are already worn when batting and face masks are available for use in the field. A small helmet-like mask should be available for the field to protect your head. Also, concussions can effect many people. Of course, the girl with the concussion is effected, but parents and coaches are too because they have to help the girl recover.

The growing number of injuries in girls softball can be prevented with training and better safety guidelines. Players should be more aware of the consequences of a concussion. Accidents happen and sometimes head injuries can't be precluded. Girls should be allowed to return to playing after a concussion, but that girl should be careful that she doesn't get hurt again. With new safety rules and training, the number of concussion victims related to softball will decrease.