Cheerleading Is A Sport | Teen Ink

Cheerleading Is A Sport

By AlainaWarsh BRONZE, Indialantic, Florida
AlainaWarsh BRONZE, Indialantic, Florida

Cheerleading is the fastest growing girls sport, yet more than half of Americans do not believe it is a sport. For High school girls and college women, cheerleading is responsible for 65.1% of all sports injuries. Such injuries include: Strains/ sprains, soft tissue injuries, fractures/dislocations, and head injuries. Cheerleaders that do not compete, and just cheer at basketball games and football games, is not considered to be a sport, however, competitive Cheerleading is. A sport is defined as "A physical activity against opponents, which a winner is declared, and serves as a purpose to compare skills of the participants." Competitive cheerleading has many physical activities. Like Gymnastics, cheerleaders tumble and perform tricky skills such as backhand springs, back tucks, front tucks, ariels, and full twists etc. Cheerleaders also perform stunts which consist of a backspot, two bases and a top girl. To be able to perform difficult stunts, cheerleaders need to be strong, and able to work well with others. Just like gymnastics, at cheer competitions, teams are awarded points for technique, difficulty, sharpness, creativity, and synchronization. So you say cheerleading isn’t a sport? Cheerleaders work just as hard as other athletes do to compete for the title that they are the best. Cheerleading is a sport.