Field Hockey and Ice Hockey | Teen Ink

Field Hockey and Ice Hockey

February 22, 2012
By Khiara BRONZE, Morristown, New Jersey
Khiara BRONZE, Morristown, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The referee blew the whistle “bleeeeeppp” ! The game begins. People start to skate up and down the ice bumping into each other, swirling, falling and yelling. One team takes position of the puck. All you hear the fans in the stands yelling score!

“Bleeeep” the whistle is blown. One girl takes the ball up the field, crosses it to her team mate, she reverse sticks it and tricks the other girl into going the other way. Next thing you know you hear a big bang! The ball went into the goal!

Field hockey and ice hockey are similar and different in these four ways. Where the sports is played, what equipment the players wear, the rules, and what team the players play on.

Where the different sports are played is important because you don’t want to find yourself playing field hockey on ice or on a football field. Field hockey is played on fields that are spray panted with lines; ice hockey is played on ice. The goals in Field Hockey are much larger than the goals in ice Hockey. The field is larger than the rink, almost 50% further in both directions. Field hockey is better because it’s on a field where you can run without slipping.

Equipment is important in many ways, such as you can fall, or get hit, but if you are wearing the right equipment then there’s a better chance of you not getting hurt. Field hockey players rarely wear more than a mouth guard and shin guards, and goalkeepers wear extra padding and a helmet. Ice hockey players wear a lot of protective equipment, such as shin- and arm pads, helmets, mouthparts, chest pads and gloves. The shape and size of the stick in each sport is also very different. Hockey is better because they have more padding.
The Rules to a game is one of the most important things in a game. The rules to a game make sure the players are safe and to keep the game moving smoothly. Ice hockey is considerably more restrictive in how a game may be played, such as restrictions on where the puck can be passed, the violent - body checking is allowed as well as other forms of physical contact, and fighting is not considered a major violation. In field hockey, physical contact is very rare, and only occurs in normal contest for the ball. But that does not involve tackling or major shoving. The game can be played in any way that does not cause danger to any of the players or the game. Field Hockey is better because the game is much safer than ice hockey.

Lastly the teams are important so you can have players and also so you can have enough people to play the different positions. Ice hockey teams can have 20 players, of which 6 play on the ice at a time. Field hockey teams can have 16 players, of which 11 can play on the field at a time. There is no exact position that must be included in a field hockey team, while ice hockey rosters have certain proportions that must be either goalkeepers or once players. They both are good because you always have someone playing their positions and everyone on the team shows teamwork.

Field hockey is better because it is played on a field, and the rules makes the game safer than ice hockey. Among my friends Field hockey is more popular than ice hockey. Since sense

The author's comments:
THe differences and similarities of Field Hockey and Ice Hockey