Men's Volleyball Serves up Twist | Teen Ink

Men's Volleyball Serves up Twist

By Jacob.Phillips BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
Jacob.Phillips BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

"Life is a beach, I'm just playin' in the sand."

The USA Men’s Olympic Volleyball team won a gold medal in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Yet, many people look at high school or college men’s volleyball as a joke because it is a girly sport. People should not look at men’s volleyball as a girly sport because men add power, speed, and athleticism to the original game.

Men’s volleyball should not be looked at as a girly sport because men add power to the game. Men hit harder, set faster and block tougher than women. This isn’t to say that women are not powerful; women play with great intelligence on the court. Men are just stronger than women and that makes the game more interesting to watch and not a girly thing at all.

The speed of the Men’s game of volleyball compared to the speed of the women’s game is overwhelming. Men’s sets are lower, their hits are harder and faster, and men run more quick sets. A men’s libero is more likely to vigorously run down a shanked pass then a woman libero. Men are just more athletically built. Men’s volleyball should not be looked at as a girly sport because men bring speed to the game.

People should not look at men’s volleyball as a girly sport because men add a superior level of athleticism to the original game. Men are stronger than women; they are just built like that. Men are made more athletically inclined than women. This means that when a man puts his full athletic ability into an activity, he has the ability to outdo those with less athletic ability than him. Because men are more athletic than women they improve the original game that differs from the women. This is not to say that women are not athletic or do not possess the ability to outdo a male, but generally men play more athletic where women play very smart on the court.

In conclusion, men add a unique athletic twist to the original game of volleyball; there is such a difference between the styles of play that you could say the only thing in common is the ball in play. Men’s volleyball should not be looked at as a girly sport because men add power, speed, and athleticism to the original game.

This is an opinion point of view article about how men's volleyball is viewed by most people and why that should change. I am a men's volleyball player.