Boise State Football 2011-2012 Season Preview | Teen Ink

Boise State Football 2011-2012 Season Preview

August 7, 2011
By DustyLABSUfan BRONZE, Santa Clarita, California
DustyLABSUfan BRONZE, Santa Clarita, California
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Drama, upsets, stunners, and heart-breakers. That was how the whole 2010-2011 College Football season played out for almost every team. It all started when then- #1 ranked Alabama was upset by the South Carolina Gamecocks week 7. The following week, the new #1, Ohio State, was upset by the Wisconsin Badgers. Week 11 was a bit of a shock to the Boise State Broncos, as they were jumped, not once, but twice, by Auburn and the school they had just recently defeated in the Fiesta Bowl, TCU. However, that was only a small shock for the Broncos, compared to what took place in Reno, Nevada on November 26, 2010: the Broncos had a, and what seemed commanding, 17 point lead at half time vs. the Nevada Wolfpack. However, in the second half, the Nevada defense shut down the Broncos' offense, giving up only a touchdown in the fourth quarter. That was when Nevada QB Colin Kaepernick marched Nevada down for a TD in the 3rd quarter, and two TD's and a field goal in the fourth quarter that would end up tying the game. When it seemed like the game surely was headed to overtime, however, Boise State used the remaining 13 seconds as best they could: Kellen Moore took the snap from the shot gun, dropped back, and heaved the ball as far as he could... and when it seemed like all hope was lost, Titus Young was there to snag the ball, diving and reaching as far as his body could go. HE CAUGHT IT, and with 1 SECOND remaining at Nevada's 9 yard line! So, out came the field goal unit, with Kyle Brotzman ready to make one of the, if not THE, biggest field goals of his career, and it was set up perfectly, only 26 yards away. What happened, nobody really knows. Only Kyle Brotzman does. Brotzman's kick went far right. The #3 kicker in the country had missed what was pretty much an extra point. And so, it turned into overtime. Boise State had the ball first. Kellen Moore's first pass was incomplete. His next was a little dump to Doug Martin for about a yard. The next play, however, was a pass to RB Jeremy Avery for 16 yards, giving the Broncos a first and goal from the 8 yard line. Doug Martin rushed for a loss of 4, and Kellen Moore made 2 incomplete passes, both intended for Titus Young. So, for the second time in a mere 15 minutes, out came Brotzman for the field goal try. From 29 yards out, Kyle Brotzman MISSED wide left. The night became a disaster. Nevada promptly got the ball, and from 17 yards out, set up for the field goal try, with Anthony Martinez coming out to break the 31-31 tie for the win. And he did just that. He nailed it right at the Allstate logo, and beat the Broncos 34-31. That crushed the Broncos hopes of not just the BCS National Championship, but a BCS Bowl altogether. They would play in the Maaco Las Vegas Bowl, and defeat the Utah Utes, 26-3.


This year, the Broncos goal is simple: keep on winning, and get to that National Championship. And I can honestly say I predict them to. Lets take a look at their schedule:


Sat, Sept 3

@
Georgia
8:00 PM ET


Fri, Sept 16

@
Toledo
8:00 PM ET


Sat, Sept 24

vs
Tulsa
8:00 PM ET


Sat, Oct 1

vs
Nevada
2:30 PM ET


Fri, Oct 7

@
Fresno State
9:00 PM ET


Sat, Oct 15

@
Colorado State
6:00 PM ET


Sat, Oct 22

vs
Air Force
3:30 PM ET


Sat, Nov 5

@
UNLV
10:30 PM ET


Sat, Nov 12

vs
TCU
3:30 PM ET


Sat, Nov 19

@
San Diego State
8:00 PM ET


Sat, Nov 26

vs
Wyoming
2:00 PM ET


Sat, Dec 3

vs
New Mexico
6:00 PM ET


There are 5 games that really jump out at me on this schedule: the Chik-fil-A Kickoff game vs. Georgia, Nevada, Air Force, TCU, and San Diego State.

Boise State vs. Georgia: The Broncos begin their season vs. #22 Georgia at the Georgia Dome, taking on sophomore QB Aaron Murray. The Bulldogs struggled mightily last year, due to their youth. Now that the group has been together for a year, I expect them to come out aggressive and ready for the upset. However, I don't see an upset brewing; I see the Broncos stomping on the little Bulldogs, telling the SEC they could compete with anybody.

Prediction: Boise State 31, Georgia 14

Boise State vs. Nevada: This one is obvious: The Broncos want to and will get revenge vs. a team that has lost their starting QB and their starting RB, Vai Taua.

Prediction: Boise State 38, Nevada 10

Boise State vs. Air Force: The Broncos take on Air Force for the first time as a conference foe. The scary part about Air Force is their ability to trick you with there wildcat offense. However, I simply don't see Billy Winn or any other Broncos getting fooled.

Prediction: Boise State 35, Air Force 21

Boise State vs. TCU: This arguably is one of the best matchups in this year's College Football season. TCU vs. Boise State has become almost a rivalry of some sort, as only one can go on while the other's journey for the BCS will end. TCU and Boise have played in 2 bowls, with the 2010 Fiesta Bowl the most recent, in which Boise prevailed to win 17-10. The rivalry is renewed, and I predict that the Broncos will, once again, come on top.

Boise State 24, TCU 17

Boise State vs. San Diego State: This game is just as big, if not bigger, than any other game on the Broncos schedule, since this is the last true test the Broncos will face. SDSU has an incredible backfield, with Hillman ranked as one of the top RB's in all of College Football. Remember, they almost upset Rose Bowl champions, TCU, last year. This will be a close and very intriguing matchup, especially since SDSU is hosting the Broncos.

Prediction: Boise State 31, San Diego State 27


I honestly wish I could predict what bowl Boise is headed to, but too much has to happen in between for Boise to have a shot at the title. Right now, they are ranked 7th, behind Oklahoma, Alabama, Oregon, LSU, Florida State, and Stanford standing in their way. All I can say is this will be one heck of a season, and hopefully, this is the Broncos year to shine.