Basketball Versus Baseball | Teen Ink

Basketball Versus Baseball

May 31, 2011
By Anonymous

I believe that basketball is more intriguing than baseballl for several reasons. Every since I was a child, I have loved the game of basketball. It has taught me many life lessons and overall made me a better person. I love basketball because it has inspired me to be who I am now. I started playing basketball in seventh grade and learned many things from my first coach. Looking back on him, I have realized that he knew nothing about basketball, but was a great person who had many good qualities that he taught me outside of basketball. He taught me how to respect others and to be a leader. When I played, I noticed that some kids would yell at refs and their own coaches. I realized that this showed a high level of disrespect. During practices, my coach would often refer to life lessons. For example, when he would try to teach me a ball-handling move, I would mess up every time and try to give up. My coach encouraged me to keep trying and to never contemplate giving up. I strongly think that basketball is better than baseballl because it requires a high level of talent, you have to use memory and execute, and you also have to be determined.
First, basketball requires a high level of talent. Basketball is all about the right moves and anticipating what is going to happen next. For example, I was once playing a game down at Lone Peak High school. I had been sitting on the bench, and I analyzed one player that couldn’t dribble with his left hand. When I went into the game I stole the ball from him three times because of his faults. Basketball also requires different techniques such as ball handling. Ball handling is very difficult and takes a lot of practice. You have to be very coordinated to play basketball. If you aren’t coordinated, you won’t be able to catch the ball or make a basket. Basketball requires more talent which makes it better than baseballl.
Next, basketball requires memory and execution. When you are practicing and you learn a new move, you have to be able to execute and use it in order to succeed. For example, I was at practice with one of my teams, the Rebels, when my coach taught me how to do a move called, “the up and under.” I kept on working on this move until it was game time. During the game I was posting up when I was given the opportunity to use this new move. I had to look back and think of what I was supposed to do to in order to properly execute the move. I remembered and effectively executed the move by scoring the basket, and on top of that, I went to the free throw line for an “and 1.” Little thing that you learn over a long time help you accomplish your goals and help you become a great basketball player. In baseballl, all you have to be able to do is hit a ball and run. I have many friends that have played both sports and have personally told me how hard basketball is compared to baseballl. They said that baseballl isn’t that much of talent, it is just about strength. I found this very interesting and started to think about it for myself. I believe that I can make this comparison because I have also played both sports. Memory and execution is a huge reason why basketball is better than baseballl.
Finally, in order to play basketball, you have to be very determined. Basketball is all about playing hard and trying your best. You don’t have to be the best on the court, but you can look like a good player if you play hard. One of the reasons why my coach likes me is because I always try my hardest. I always dive for the ball, and I always run back on defense. Playing hard has taught me a very good work ethic. I always give it my all in whatever I am doing. By just playing hard, the game has opened many doors for me. In the middle of a game, you will get so tired that all you want to do is sit down but you have to keep running your hardest and never give up. Being determined is a very important part of basketball.
In conclusion, for these reasons, basketball is better than baseballl. Baseball doesn’t require much of anything besides a slow jog and a little bit of strength. Overall, basketball has a lot more to offer and will. Whoever plays baseballl should definitely switch because basketball has a set of attractive challenges such as requiring a high level of talent, you have to use memory and execute, and you also have to be determined. This is why I strongly believe that basketball is better than baseballl.