Why Golf? | Teen Ink

Why Golf?

By Pierre83 BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Pierre83 BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

People of America don’t like watching golf. At least anyone not under the age of 50. Perhaps it’s because it’s too dull, not enough action. In contrast, they enjoy watching sports like football, basketball, baseball...wait. Did I just say watching? Tell me, since when was the only thing that mattered about a sport was how fun it was to watch? I’ll admit: I’ve never spent more than three seconds watching a PGA tour, and I’ve never had a single thought about buying a golf videogame - but boy, golf is actually one of my favorite sports to play.

There really is something about stepping onto the smooth grass, staring into the shining sun, the twinkle of the light, with the fresh breeze as it wrinkles the green…if a golf course could be put into words it would fine poetry. Its something about the flight of the ball, as it soars through the picture perfect blue sky when you hit just right. Or nailing that putt, the ultimate feeling of satisfaction, that perfect “aahh” moment.

And how could I forget the golf carts! If you can’t drive yet, this is the closest you’re going to get, and trust me, its quite the thrill driving 13 miles per hour. I think the golf cart by itself could be better than football and baseball combined.

You see golf doesn’t need all the billion-dollar stadiums, the crazed fans, and all the celebrity. It’s a great game and a great time all by itself. So what if doesn’t have the three billion-dollar NFL salary. I’d much rather have two million golf carts.

Everybody needs to stop looking at the entertainment side of things. Soccer isn’t a great sport because its fun to watch, it’s a great sport because it’s fun to play. The same goes for any other game. Do you really think that the inventor of basketball, Dr. James Naismith would think that 100 years later his ball tossing into bucket game would really end up having up a total of 486 U.S.A players with a combined salary of $2,147,804,038 and additional countless others players and leagues around the world? No. He was looking for a fun game the kids could play indoors that included skill instead of strength.

Sports historically weren’t made for watching. It’s called physical activity. Not a “eat Doritos and stare at a box all day” activity.

So next time you flip on the T.V. and find Tiger woods crouched down looking for that perfect line to the hole think again before you call golf the most boring sport in history.
After all, I don’t think you’ve ever participated in a snail marathon.

soccerdude12 said...
You're right i really hate watching golf but you made a good point about the playing part

jake83 said...
Great article, I loved the ending.