Participate | Teen Ink

Participate

By Joshua Bonham BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
Joshua Bonham BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas

I think everyone in school should be required to participate in some kind of sport or extra curricular activity. My experience with football has taught me a lot of life lessons. It has taught me the value of hard work. I have learned how to push through even when it is hard. Over time I have learned how to respectfully, and even more important than that I have learned how to lose. I see a lot of people going through school that are suffering because they haven’t been able to experience these things. I see people that walk around with their shoulders slumped and their head down because they haven’t discovered what they are capable of. They don’t know that they have the ability to do great things. I know that sports aren’t every body’s thing, but if someone doesn’t participate in sports then they should participate in band or choir. People need something to help them occupy their time. High schoolers all across the country are showing the results of what happens when they don’t have anything to help them use up their time. They are beginning to use more and more illegal drugs and starting to drink more than ever before. I think this is largely because a majority of high schoolers are no longer participating in something that helps call them to something higher. If we would all just try to participate in something bigger than ourselves then I think we would see those numbers go down.