Advocacy Letter | Teen Ink

Advocacy Letter

By Dan Schmidt SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Dan Schmidt SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association
c/o Sports Advisory Committee
5516 Vern Homes Drive
Stevens Point, WI 54482-8833

Dear Sports Advisory Committee:

For the past three years I have participated in baseball at my high school. Baseball has become a huge part of my life and I recognize and appreciate the steps you have taken to better the sport. Recently, you have enacted a new regulation outlawing the use of composite metal bats. I believe this a step in the right direction to creating fairer and safer competition. However, I have a suggestion that I believe is a better way of doing this.

While playing baseball, it has come to my attention that metal bats, aluminum or composite, give hitters an advantage over pitchers, are more costly, more dangerous, and are cheating players out of bettering their skills. I ask you consider outlawing all metal bats and allow only wood bats. The use of wood bats teaches players to become better hitters and shows their true skills. This allows college and high school players to prepare for the next level. Many will argue using wood bats kills trees and is more expensive than using metal bats. This is because wood bats break often, but breakage can be avoided. Composite wood bats are available, which rarely break and are less than half the cost of metal bats. Today, High School baseball players are bigger, stronger, and more skilled. Because of this, using metal bats is much more dangerous. The risk of a pitcher or infielder getting hit with a line drive is higher and more deadly. The NCAA has also banned composite metal bats and has been discussing switching to wood. This, along with your action, is a step moving towards the use of wood bats. In due time, college and high school baseball will ban metal bats. In my mind, if that is the future, why not change it now?

As the organization with the power to affect and better High School baseball, I hope you take my proposal into deliberation. With your action, baseball can become better, safer, and fairer.

You may feel free to contact me at any time. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Dan S.