The Language of Dance

Dance
is a magical thing, and feet are rhythmical. Poetry is enchanting, and
when intertwined with your feet, you may sing without a voice.
Guess what? This is what I live for, singing with no voice, in silence, but in the most potent of words. I love the energy needed and exerted in the dance. The beauty of it all is stored up in your body, and needs an escape. With my toes and feet I trace for you the lines of dance in the air and draw you a picture that cannot be expressed in words.
You see, when I dance I am telling you how I feel. I hope you understand the language of dance, because if you don’t, then I am speaking for nothing.
That is the only language I know and love. I do not love the English language.

I do not love American Sign Language.

I do not love the Spanish language.

I only love the language of dance.

Sadly, many people do not understand this language. And if that is the only way I can speak to you, and if you do not understand, my efforts are in vain. My emotions are left unheard and deemed unimportant. I wish I could tell you how much feeling I put into my dance, but I can’t describe to you that in English. If you can’t understand when I tell you in the hidden language, you will never know or understand.

And I don’t care about you then.

Understand me.

beautifulspirit This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 27, 2012 at 8:06 am:
Well, dance is certainly a passionate thing. Creativity is now losing its significance and importance in today's world. We have more competitive leaning toward the math and science areas. You could have made this into a poem too:)

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 25, 2011 at 4:56 pm:
i like this and i can tell dancing is somehing you are really passionate about!! i love the way your are expressing one love through another!! :)

whatshername said...
Feb. 12, 2011 at 12:32 pm:
i like this! i can completely relate! i dance too and it is sooooo important too me! nice job!!!!

SpringRayynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 6, 2011 at 1:51 pm:
Okay folks, I don't mind if you rate this as very few stars, but please if you do that--post a comment and tell me why my writing sucks! It makes me so mad when you just rate it but don't give tips on how to change it if you don't like it.

GzusFreak10This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I completely understand the language of ballet! I <3 the dance, and i <3 the language. Very good! (I thought the 2nd to last line is a bit harsh though.)

SpringRayynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 31, 2010 at 1:58 pm :
That's just one of those things in the moment, ya know? I have tons of friends who actually don't dance, but they don't understand the language either, so I mean I do care about them, they'll just never understand me.

GzusFreak10This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 31, 2010 at 4:23 pm :
Yeah, i get it. (:. And ballet is an awesome "language", i must say. :)

Dec. 31, 2010 at 7:36 pm :
Don't put language in quotes, haha, it's a real language. :)

Dec. 31, 2010 at 8:22 pm :
haha. Yeah, maybe. ;).

Dec. 31, 2010 at 10:22 pm :
Not maybe. Stop contradicting me.I'm not even kidding anymore.

SunnySummersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 2, 2011 at 6:31 pm :
Yeah, I can totaly see how some people see it as a language. I don't say language specifically because of what that brings to mind for most people--words. But I'm a dancer and It's amazing one dance number can really say so much!

Jan. 2, 2011 at 6:34 pm :
And the writing itself is exellent! I do agree  with GzusFreak though that it ends a little harshly. I understand the emotions behind the words, though.

minnieokie said...
Very good!  J.Octavian.R has some good constructive points about this writing.  You might keep it in mind in future articles. 

JanuaryCrest said...
This is AMAZING!!!!  keep doing what you are doing!!!

shadowfox1996 said...
This is a very good piece

J.Octavian.R This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 5, 2010 at 5:51 pm :

This is what I live for, singing with no voice, in silence, but in the most potent of words. I love the energy needed and exerted in the dance. The beauty of it all is stored up in your body, and needs an escape. With my toes and feet I trace for you the lines of dance in the air and draw you a picture that cannot be expressed in words.

This part is a central point in the piece. When you begin you describe the feelings that YOU feel while dancing, and finish talking about... (more »)