Marching Band Should Be Considered A Sport

For many years, people have wondered whether or not marching band is considered a sport. Several marching band members and marching band fans agree that it should be a sport. Some sport players and people who dislike marching bands believe that it shouldn’t be. I am one of those people that believe that it should be considered.

Marching band consists of running, walking, marching while playing a musical instrument, at the same time. Like most sports, involves running and doing other things simultaneously. Like, football which involves running, catching the ball and, carrying the ball to the end zone.

Most, if not all sports, involve working as a team. Marching band uses this to a great deal. If you don’t work as a team, you fail, just like in sports. If a volleyball team does not work as a team, then they lose control of the ball and give the other team a point. In marching band, if you don’t work as a team, there is no marching band.

You also have to work hard to achieve one goal. Several sports and in marching band this is extremely important, especially in competitions. In baseball, the players rely on the batter to hit the ball with great power, in order for the players on the bases, to run all three bases and get a homerun. In marching band, the members rely on other members to play and move to their part to achieve one goal.

Marching band also haves competitors, just like all sports teams. As a team competes with other teams, marching bands compete with other marching bands. Track or cross country, compete with other teams in running a race, jumping over obstacles, and running through rough terrain. Marching bands compete with other bands in playing, choreography, and working as a team.
Marching band should be considered a sport. As a member of a marching band, I know that when compared, marching band is very similar to just about any sport, except for the fact that you must play a musical instrument.

kennenkel said...
im not the normal marching student, because i play every other sport, but i do agree marching band should be a sport. i work just as hard in marching band as i do in  basketball and soccer!

SpringRayynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 3, 2010 at 7:19 am
I agree with you. I'm not in marching band because I thought it would be too hard, so I joined concert band. There are a lot of things people are debating wether or not they are sports, and really they know nothing about it. It's fun to say "I'd like to see you grab an instrument and play music while marching around the feild like that, football player!" Very persuasive, good job.

SafariE.Summer said...
I think Marching Band should be a sport because of the work thats put in to it somepeople think that they can just jump in the band and do the work but  it takes alot of work.

Josey Rae said...
I have  never considered marching to be a sport, but after you brought this up I totally agree. With all of the exuasting work and practice, we should be able to take credit for marchings as a sport.