Seriously Guys what the Heck? | Teen Ink

Seriously Guys what the Heck?

May 19, 2010
By alex radke BRONZE, Holland, Michigan
alex radke BRONZE, Holland, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Teenink writers just don’t write well. Seriously guys what the heck? How many poems about how he doesn’t love you can you write? How many times does this magazine tell about some life changing event that really only applies to the writer? Teenagers have enough problems already this magazine only makes it their lives look less pathetic.

The poetry. This section has never made me feel like cracking a smile, telling a joke, or having a good time. The section is filled bunch of soppy depressed teens that have no better way of relieving their sad struggle to search for themselves in the dark corners of the English language. I’ve seen happier suicide notes. Besides what some of these “poets” writings will be forgotten in more than a week. Why not just send these soppy, over dramatic scribbles to a therapist and get these kids on the mainstream.

I’ve always been a fan of fiction. Anyone can write about anything happening anywhere… if you’re a talented writer. Most of these writers are not so talented. From what I’ve seen most of this fiction is either put in a real life situation with a couple events tossed about to add interest or they’re a cheap knock off of some published story. Enough with the vampires and werewolves already! Nobody, other than the devout dreamers that read this magazine, wants to read about some new couple falling in love. These stories get old after hearing them over and over. To even make a submission you have to sign a statement guaranteeing originality. Sure most of them might not be exact copies of one another but if you take and change up said story it will still be the same story. It’s like taking a all the best fruit form the best gardens and picking them up after sitting out for a while so all the ingredients have gone bad and blending it, it might look the same but it will make the drinker sick.

Non-fiction tends to be stranger than fiction. There are plenty of well written stories in this section and I'm usually quite impressed. It almost seems like some of these stories are either too good to be true or too sad not to be. It makes me think that the writers have more enriching and fascinating lives full of drama, messed up family lives, friends up to no good, or some other oddity.

The review section is never really all that interesting. The generic reviews about the top ten songs or albums pumped out by some top selling figure that the public insist are “musicians” or “artists” fail to spark any interest of mine. I could open up any newspaper or magazine from around the world and get the same feeling of displeasure as I read about some prepubescent kid that has more money than me because he has the intelligence of a peanut shell. But that’s just music. Out of the top ten most discussed reviews three of them happen to be Twilight related such as the book, the movie, and the soundtrack. There are some great reviews of books that get looked over but these are scarce. The review section is the most basic and generic part of the whole magazine because it is just like every single other review out there. I’d rather read a Rolling Stone Magazine. At least then I know it’s a professional music critic and not some teenage fan boy.

The opinions are something of a goldmine. That was sarcastic. Here you get to see where the thoughts and ideas that America's youth have to offer. They range from the political spectrum, where most people don’t understand, to religion, where even less people understand, to some mundane problem in their life. I feel as though most writers just take what they hear on television, type it up, and feed it to the publishers of the magazine. Get a new opinion already! Or maybe get an actual opinion that applies or inspires the teenagers in some way.

Sports! Sports are the last thing I want to read about! I don’t care if you made a touchdown, or scored the winning hit, or pinned a guy in the state championships. People that write these must think they have a shot at sports in real life. It doesn’t matter. Sports are better when played than when written. Enough said.

Never have I ever thought such a diverse group of people could write such a similar way. The writers of any of these articles have made a mockery of all the individualistic pieces and all the actual individuals suffocated in the junky writing of this teenage generation. To all you readers who want to be writers, write something uniquely and make sure it is actually unique.

The author's comments:
this was inspired by all you loving fans and contributors to this magazine