Yoga: Silly Stretching or Life Changing Experience | Teen Ink

Yoga: Silly Stretching or Life Changing Experience

By Kennedy Wong SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
Kennedy Wong SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

Yoga is a traditional way to physically and mentally discipline oneself. This enriching practice originated in India, and has existed for 5,ooo years. Yoga has spread throughout the world, and is a big influence on Americans.

One of the main reasons people are influenced by yoga is because of the fact that it is relaxing and reduces stress. Yoga teaches a person how to breathe correctly, which creates awareness of the body and calms the parasympathetic nervous system. The correct method of breathing is to slowly inflate one’s stomach on the inhale and deflate on the exhale. Breathing deeply slows the brain down. Slowing the brain calms the thoughts, and most people’s stress and lack of relaxation is because their minds are running wild.

Another important feature of yoga is that it can improve flexibility and strength. Between the various poses, people learn to stretch their bodies into a position that calls for endurance. Because of these positions, strength and flexibility result. One of the main designs of yoga is to remove tension from the musculoskeletal system. Yoga strengthens without the high impact on joints and the problem of overtraining.

Yoga is not only for personal pleasures, but is also a method for people who are improving and/or maintaining good health. Research has found that people with type II diabetes get significant aid from yoga. Professor Phillip Cryer of the Washington University School of Medicine in St.Louis, Missouri stated that stress creates adrenaline which causes high glucose levels in the blood. Yoga is a way to physically and mentally calm and help oneself improve. People with ADHD who have tried yoga, often learn how to build a mind and body correlation that teaches them self-control. Yoga is also being used in hospital stress management programs, corporate wellness programs, nursing homes, and rehabilitation centers.

Many people believe that yoga is a waste of time and that it shouldn’t be considered physical activity. This is because during yoga, there is no running around or playing with a ball. A person is not actively moving as much during yoga. People don’t realize how effective yoga is until they try it. This is not only because of the sweat that gets worked up, but also because most of the “magic” happens inwardly.

Yoga is an inspirational practice that has affected many. This ritual has the power to relax others and to teach people the correct way of breathing. It is such an effective practice that it has been used for over five thousand years. Yoga increases strength and flexibility, just as any other physical sport would. It also helps people maintain their health. If there is someone who wishes to take action, they can take a yoga class or encourage people to try a class to see for themselves that it is an experience not to be missed.