My Heroes: SIXburgh Style

By , Boonsboro, MD
People will say they are fake; only in it for the money.
People will discourage them for one wrong move.
People will judge them because of what their career is.
They are my heroes.

My heroes are, believe it or not, members of the NFL team the Pittsburgh Steelers. And before all of you Ravens fans stop reading, I do have reasons! Legitimate ones! People will say “Oh, they’re just football players. What can they do?” I don’t think that they know what impact professional athletes have on teens, children, and even adults in today’s society. The Steelers are a good example of positive impact. The Pittsburgh Steelers are devoted, loyal-they want to help others. They are committed to helping their community, whether it is bringing joy to their fans or donating to charities. Many Steelers have their own funds or charities. For example, Hines Ward (wide receiver) established the Helping Hands Foundation. The Helping Hands Foundation helps biracial children in Korea. Troy Polamalu and his wife created the Harry Panos Fund. This fund helps younger veterans returning from Iraq, often with bad injuries. Such generosity from iconic figures as these men is hard to find these days.

Also, the criticism that these men have to face is almost classified as ridiculous. You will turn on a sports channel and the hosts will be talking about what they do well, what they need to improve on, and what the should just stop doing altogether. Fans of other teams will make of them for the smallest things. Sometimes even the Steelers fans are critical of their beloved team. The courage that it takes to stand up and face the world, even when you lose or make an embarrassing move, is inspiring.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are absolutely inspirational to me. I love that they are so generous and big-hearted toward their community and the rest of the world. Seeing the players do things like donate to charity makes those players’ followers open up to the rest of the world. Additionally, I think the Steelers are motivational when it comes to courage. They will face the world even if the rest of the world is critical of their actions. Their courage and generosity encourages teens and adults everywhere to try to be better people.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a wonderful impact on our population. We should praise and acknowledge their actions more than we criticize them. They are my heroes, and have impacted and inspired me greatly.

volleyhitter86 said...
**if you want a comment thats for real about this article please scroll allll the way down to the last comment...we got carried away with our conversation!**

volleyhitter86 said...
well thank you i try :)

lovevball replied...
I love you :))

volleyhitter86 replied...
i <3 you too! lol im sure people will be confused by this...but that is ok! haha

lovevball replied...
i know!! (my step dad) was like... "now they will know you are in cahoots"... i was like whats that mean?? and he said you are friendsssss you know each other.. i was like DUH we do both have volleyballl screen names!! haha

volleyhitter86 replied...
hahaha yes! that definitely means we are in cahoots! hahaha

lovevball replied...
i know! its pretty amazing rightttt!!

volleyhitter86 replied...
yesss :) this thing wont let me post any comments less than ten letters! what the heck?

lovevball replied...
haha!! that is pretty lameeee!!! lol

volleyhitter86 replied...
i know right! i just wanted to say "yesss :)" and it was like NO ten plus letters! "ANGRY FACE" haha

lovevball replied...
haha!! very ANGRY FACE!!! lol... how would you even make an angry face on the computer/ or phone???

volleyhitter86 replied...
like this: >:(

lovevball replied...
nice!!! haha i never would have thought of that

volleyhitter86 replied...
actually i learned it off of my phone...i have this list of "emoticons!" isnt that awesome? "EMOTICONS!"

lovevball replied...
im just going to keep commmentinggg

lovevball replied...
im just im just going to keep commmentinggg

lovevball replied...
im just im just im just going to keep commmentinggg

volleyhitter86 replied...
okey dokey works for meee

lovevball replied...
haha! i wish i had that on my phone!!!

volleyhitter86 replied...
yeah! it shows like a bajillion different faces...i dont even know what most of them mean... like what the heck is ": -@ "? i have never seen anyone use that one