Judo: A Waste of Time for Girls?

" Why do you learn judo? It's so tomboyish" I am just tired of hearing this. Honestly, I just can't take it any more. I feel, judo is for everyone. You should know how to defend yourself. For example, when someone is trying to attack you, maybe a rival or an unknown mugger. I really don't get it why some friends tease me for judo. When a girl is in a threatening position, wouldn't it be cool if it she can save herself? Rather than being a damsel in distress, waiting for someone to rescue you.........

Once, a classmate told me I am just wasting my time, given that our exams are approaching. What about her listening to music and watching tv for hours? And times spent on chatting with friends online? I really don't think five classes a week is a waste of time. And I would very much like to be able to take care of myself, rather than being a damsel in distress.

" Judo is not for girls" - I am just tired of hearing this sexist phrase. And I am really not going to listen to people's advices on how I should try to be more girly.

Does it happen to you as well, friends? People trying to pull you back, trying to persuade you to give up a hobby you love?

mplo said...
Be strong, Kayira1991! Stand your ground, and don't listen to people (including your friends, etc.,) who try to denigrate you for taking up Judo! Judo and other martial arts are wonderful and they build up confidence in teens and adults alike, and help reduce the likelihood of one's being a target for bullies, and enable one to defend him/herself if they're ever attacked physically. Here's hoping I've been of some help here. All the best of luck to you, and don't give up the ship!

Rose said...
Aug. 7, 2015 at 4:16 am
I've been thinking of taking up Judo and I really enjoyed reading this because I'm quite curious about it

mplo replied...
Go for it! You've got nothing to lose by trying!

Keli123 said...
wow. you're so right. i took karate classes for like 4 or 5 years and it was cool learning how to fight. i took classes twice a week and it was great excersize too. plus now i can defend myslef if it comes down to it and thats a good thing to have under your belt especially for girls. we really should know how to kick beat the hell out of someone if we need to. i only quit because my instructor was horrible and it was getting to expensive. but i was one belt from my black belt so im prepared to ... (more »)

J. Rae said...

Anything like Martial Arts, or self defense, is for anybody. I participate in Tae Kwon Do, and I am so glad that I never quit. I have amazing reflexes now (sometimes they get me into trouble with my friends, and I have to warn them not to poke me or else I'll accidentally hit them... I can't stop reflexes!!) that will help me later on in life, and I almost dare a guy to try and attack me so that I can kick his butt! I feel safer knowing that I can defend myself later in life if I ever have to... (more »)

mplo replied...
Excellent post, J. Rae! It's good to see that more girls and women these days are learning how to take care of themselves and getting into the martial arts/self-defense. I, too participate in TKD, and it's a wonderful thing. I also did Jiu-Jitsu many years ago, with a remarkable instructor (who is now deceased), and learned a great deal from him. I attended a large suburban public high school, in an idyllic suburb west of Boston, back in the mid to late 1960's, when a girl or a woman enter... (more »)

acousticalex This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I used to do judo and I agree that women's self defense is nothing to be ridiculed when so many are raped and attacked because the gender stereotypes of the old times sticking around for today.

mplo replied...
You are so spot-on, acoustically! Way to go!

TheN3RDWAD said...
Jan. 2, 2010 at 12:48 am
I hear you. I don't take Judo, but I hate the idea that they would say it's a waste of time for girls. It's stupid, the statistic for a girl to be sexually assaulted is increasing, it's apparently 3/4 women. Scary thought, huh? It would be nice to know how to defend you instead of being raped or mugged or beat up. Good job for not giving it up because the other people don't like it. Kudos to you girl.