No Gym

Dear Editor:

Everybody loves sports, especially high school sports, but nobody likes gym class. If you are an in season athlete, physical education just seems a waste of time.

Some people may say Phys. Ed. is what the students need to prepare themselves for future habits. I veto this opinion and say that athletes already know excellent ways to stay healthy later on in life. Robert Steinbeck of Pittsburgh McNaugher, shared that he tries to teach his students responsibility and ways to keep healthy but also mentioned that the athletes he coaches learn ways to stay fit by doing the workouts with their team.

Being an athlete myself, when I have gym I’m always scared of getting hurt. Gym teachers always try to push the students to work their hardest, but on a game day for an athlete they could be tired or even get hurt in class. It would be safer for the athletes if they just did not have to put themselves in that position.

The recommended amount of physical activity is around 60 minutes a day. The football team at North Allegheny High School practices around two and a half hours a day, varying on the day of the week. Phys. Ed. is 42 minutes every other day that extra 42 minutes can make athletes weak from 20 minute runs or trying hard in a team activity.

A lot of athletes have the attitude “I don’t need to try, I play a sport.” And get nothing out of gym class anyways. Athletes could focus more on academics not having to participate in gym. They could have a study hall to do their school work, which they do not have as much time for after school because of their after school sport.

Athletes who already know ways to better their future should not have to put themselves at risk of injury by participating in Phys. Ed. Athletes can prepare themselves and learn life lessons from coaches and important figures in their sport. Inspiration would not be needed from Phys. Ed. for Athletes.

Sincerely,

Matt S.

kjeezy10 said...
Summary   The author believes that nobody likes gym class, but everybody loves to do sports.  He believes that physical education is a waste of time, but then again some people say that is important for future life endeavors.   Response               I agree that Physical Education classes are pointless especially for kids involved in athletics because they already get their daily exercise in games and practic... (more »)

booknerd101 said...
I understand hat you are trying to say but I think you have it all wrong. As a fellow athlete myself I want to agree with you. I play basketball and track. But as a student with 109 classmates I don't think it would be fair. You don't beneifit from P.E but some people actually enjoy it. They like the time they get to spend with friends and do the activities that the coaches have for them. Also maybe the habits may be useless to you because you already know them but if you haven't noticed ther... (more »)

sallysmith100 said...
Apr. 17, 2011 at 12:00 am
Why not get your P.E. credit waved?

windows 7 said...
i agree with matt i got injured becuz of gym class

tayyarcan said...
Mar. 25, 2011 at 1:49 am
Matt, i don't agree. If you want to be a good athlete, you can't do that easily. You have to work harder. And i think P.E lessons are helping you. You cannot be successful without taking risks. Yes it can be too hard for you but you should try as much as you can.

SundanceKid said...

Matt,

I am trying to make PE classes optional for athletes at my high school as i run cross country and Nordic ski and i feel the same way. Is it ok if i use this article to prove my point?

HAWKEYESTATE4ever said...
Yeah, kids aren't obese enough today. We need to think of a way to cut out the only physical activity they probably receive on a daily basis. 

dfghsdhytuktyh said...
Apr. 30, 2010 at 10:26 am
Matt, i completly agree...hope your cute :)

Matt S. said...
Oct. 9, 2009 at 10:09 am
This article is excellent! i love this kids ideas

"THE HEAT" HEATH replied...
me2! I LOVED THIS ARTICLE!