Physical activity for you, not only muscle | Teen Ink

Physical activity for you, not only muscle

May 2, 2022
By Anonymous

Everyone knows or should know that physical activity is important for your body. I know that there are many people that think that because they are in good shape they do not need to be doing physical activity. For me I think being in sports and working out many times a week has helped me understand the importance of strengthening muscles but also the long term benefits. I used to have a home gym at my house and I would run on the treadmill everyday to get ready for volleyball season. I would do weight training 2-3 times a week. Then during the summer I started going to weights for volleyball in the morning on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and started lifting on my own the other 3 days and going to training on Saturday mornings. I really realized how important activity is for myself and how it benefits my sports.There are many benefits that no one talks about or even thinks about. In the world there is a big population that is obese or overweight which is not a bad thing but physical activity could lower the percentage. Besides getting stronger and staying fit, the brain is also getting helped in many different ways.

First, there are many benefits of physical activity and there are so many that are overlooked or not talked about. Physical activity can help with and prevent diseases, such as type 2 diabetes as the most common one it helps with. According to everydayhealth, the article “10 Amazing Benefits of Exercise”, written by Kristen Stewart, on January 30, 2018. Strength training helps improve insulin health when the body is moving, helping control blood sugar. While working out and moving the body, the blood glucose levels are being lowered. Another common disease it helps prevent is cancer by helping control weight and strengthen the immune system. Now there are many reasons to be doing physical activity but the most common reason is to strengthen the muscles. While someone is training their muscles and getting stronger they are also strengthening their bones. When someone is strengthening their bones, they are preventing injuries. According to mayoclincic when anybody is working out and training muscles they are helping new bone tissue to form. Also while strengthening the muscles, also is making yourself more flexible which will reduce strains and injuries in your muscles. Another main reason people workout and maintain doing physical activity is so they can maintain their weight. People maintain their weight so they don’t become obese or overweight which is a struggle in the US.

Second, is obesity because many people in the US are overweight or obese. Which isn’t always from not doing physical activity, it can be from genetics. But physical activity can be from lack of physical activity. According to the article “Adult Obesity Facts”, published by the cdc on September 31, 2021, 37.9 percent of men are obese and 41.1 percent of woman are obese. 71.9 percent are overweight in 2022, up 15 percent in the past 4 years. The cost for obesity is going to be so much more than a person without obesity. An obese person pays 25-50 percent more a year than the average person. It also costs the healthcare system more, health care is paying around 147 billion a year for obesity. 

Lastly, physical activity will help the brain in different ways. According to the article “Fitness”, published on October 8, 2021, by Mayo Clinic Health system, while doing physical activity that is increasing the blood flow to the brain. Getting blood flow to the brain is essential for your health. Oxygen is getting put into the brain which helps the brain. Increasing your heart rate which is what gives oxygen to the brain. Working out gives off energy so if working out in the morning is giving energy for your day. While getting energy from working out your gonna be ready to go for the day of work or school.