Football is not unethical | Teen Ink

Football is not unethical

January 24, 2022
By Anonymous

Watching football is not supposed to be unethical. Yeah, people get hurt but players agree and know the risks. Knowing this, watching football is not unethical. Example: I was at a Redskins game in Washington about 3 years ago and I watched Alex Smith get completely flattened by the Texans D line and watch his foot go into another direction. As he was being carried off on a stretcher, he was looking up at the crowd and giving a thumbs up. My 12 year old self didn’t even think about what just happened to his leg and more about how screwed we were cause we had to bring in our sub QB. I'm pretty sure we lost that game. Many other injuries happen, we see it all the time. If you really don't like seeing these types of things then don’t watch it. Don’t call it “unethical” just because you don’t agree with what happens. If people like to watch it then they should watch it. Even if you call it unethical, it is not unethical either way. Players know what they are getting into when they join the NFL. Don’t ruin the thing that many people based their lives or careers on. If they believe something is one way, do not slander them for thinking differently from you. Players are paid to play this sport, which is what they do for a living. If people go fight for things like cancelling football because of people getting hurt like Alex Smith, this takes away the thing these players use to make a living for themselves. They know what they are getting into when they sign up, which is why football is not unethical.