I'm a Gear Head | Teen Ink

I'm a Gear Head

January 20, 2022
By 2kaczmarek BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
2kaczmarek BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Wide-open throttle (WOT) refers to an internal combustion engine's maximum intake of air and fuel that occurs when the throttle plates inside the carburetor or throttle body are "wide open". Many people think “wide-open throttle” means flooring the gas pedal. That's true, but flooring the pedal opens a throttle blade as wide as it can go, allowing more air into the engine. When more air goes in, more gas goes into the engine with it, producing more power and speed.

The one thing that some gear heads put on their cars is a 2-Step, and these are the most annoying things that someone could put on their car. A 2-step is a rev limiter device that you install on your car. It has 2 stages, one at a lower RPM and one at a higher RPM. The lower RPM limiter is usually used for launch control, commonly used in street races, while the higher RPM limiter will be located at or slightly over the redline and can introduce a little flame to your exhaust. When a 2-step is used most people will put their car in park or neutral. When the car is in park or neutral you can rev the engine, and if you push the RPM’s past the red line you will see some flames come out of the exhaust. Seeing a flame shoot out of the exhaust is kind of cool, but the reason why these are so annoying is because you will hear a very loud pop - pop - pop. Almost like gunshots.

Here is the reason why I love cars so much; I first got into cars/trucks my sophomore year of high school because I met these two guys (Nathan and Cayden) in my biology class that would only talk about cars, trucks, ATVs, and dirt bikes. After some time hanging out with them, they helped me learn more about cars because my parents bought me my first car; a 2012 Chevrolet Impala with a V6 engine, and the sound it makes when I rev it, is like the roar of a lion, so loud anyone can hear it. In the near future I plan to buy my first diesel truck. The truck I plan to buy is a 2020, GMC Denali, 2500 HD, Crew Cab with a 6'10" Standard Box.


The author's comments:

I first got into cars/trucks my sophomore year of high school because I met these two guys (Nathan and Cayden) in my biology class that would only talk about cars, trucks, ATVs, and dirt bikes.