The College Football Playoffs have to expand | Teen Ink

The College Football Playoffs have to expand

January 10, 2022
By harryson32 BRONZE, West Jordan, Utah
harryson32 BRONZE, West Jordan, Utah
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
The phrase "its just a game" is such a weak mindset. You are okay with what happened, losing, imperfection of a craft. When you stop getting angry after losing, you've lost twice.


Dear college football fans and the NCAA,

Since 2014 when the college football playoff started only 13 schools have made an appearance and 4 of these schools have claimed all the national titles. There are 130 football teams in the Division 1 Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) and 4 spots in the college football playoff, schools with 6 wins that don't qualify for the playoffs play in bowl games. The college football landscape has become stagnant and something needs to change for the future well being of the sport. By expanding the playoffs the postseason becomes more inclusive and exciting for teams and fans.

The playoffs need to expand beyond the small pool of 4 to give a chance to all teams to play for the national championship. The proposed 12 team playoff gives Power 5 conferences, Group of 5 conferences, and Independent programs a path to the playoffs and more teams remain in the hunt mid season and in the conference championship round. “In the seven years of the four-team playoff, there hasn’t been much variation. Simply put, it’s been predictable. If you start a season saying Alabama and Clemson will be there in the end, along with some combination of LSU or Georgia and maybe Ohio State, you’re probably right.” (Furones # 1). I have been following college football since 2015 and the same teams are always competing for the championship and it's just not exciting to watch, with a 12 team playoff the possibilities are endless, new teams will be introduced and more exciting matchups will transpire. If you have a favorite college team that has never been able to reach the playoffs this is the opportunity for it to happen.

Recruiting would also change by expanding. It would spread out the top recruits and stop them from always committing to the same top schools. “Prospects who value the opportunity to play for a title likely only view the handful of programs that have a stronghold on those CFP slots as places to do it.” (Furones # 1) A wider pool of schools able to compete for the championship means highly rated recruits will consider schools outside of the top 5 because they will have the same opportunity there as they would at the number 1 school. This distribution of talent could perhaps end the decade long overpowered dynasties that have dulled college football for so long. 

A current problem right now in college football is NFL bound players are opting out of bowl games to prepare for the draft because the bowl games aren't important and it's not worth risking injury. Just this year Ohio St had 4 players opt out of the Rose Bowl because they didn’t make the playoffs. Without top players, bowl games lose their luster. “The bottom line is that conference championships and the four-team playoff have been nothing but enticing. Winner-take-all showdowns have gradually moved us away from the inanity of meaningless bowl games, and college football is now ready to take a final plunge.” ( Romano # 1) Current bowl games that don't mean anything can find a new home by hosting the college football playoffs and while the playoffs wont stop all players from opting out it should hopefully keep many more from doing so because they can play in a game that actually matters. 

Expanding the playoffs not only solves all the current problems within college football but it also adds to it making it even better. It gives every team a clear path and a shot to win, no longer will the playoffs be an unattainable fantasy. This benefits the teams, the fans and the sport. And at the end of the day do you want to keep watching the same 4 teams win every year?

Sincerely, Harrison T.


The author's comments:

Sources:

Furones, David. “What Implications Could 12-Team Playoff Expansion Have on College Football?” Sun Sentinel (FL), 12 June 2021. EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=pwh&AN=2W6311476406.


Horning, Clay. “Clay Horning: Like Everything Else, Playoff Expansion Not about the Money.” Norman Transcript, The (OK), 16 July 2021. EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=pwh&AN=2W62257775878.


Romano, John. “John Romano: Please, Please, Please Expand the College Football Playoff to 12 Teams.” St. Petersburg Times (FL), 16 June 2021. EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=pwh&AN=2W63232610184.