Cheerleading: A Discourse Community | Teen Ink

Cheerleading: A Discourse Community

Introduction

Most people have seen a cheerleader or seen one cheer. Cheerleading is what I am doing for my discourse community. All cheer is close in what to do, but all have different ways to do it. Megan, who is one of the cheer coaches stated, “That cheer is about having fun with what you’re doing while also being there to support your team.” While cheer can be about anything to me this is the most clear thing that cheer is about. Everyone has their different take on what cheer is about and if it is a discourse community. Many believe that cheerleading is a discourse community. Other people believe that it is not a discourse community.

Methodology

I am an observer and a participant in cheerleading. As I observe I collect data through memorization and by participation. I also conducted a survey to collect as much data as I possibly could, from those who participated. I had to collect data from eight different people that are a part of cheer or are going to be this year. I had asked them all for their permission on the survey before they could continue. The survey had put all the answers into a spreadsheet so I could see who replied and who said what to which questions.

I had asked all the girls the same questions and they all answered relatively closely. Most of the answers were the same. That made it easier to keep track of everything and who said what. Most of the girls are juniors and seniors that answered. The other girls were either sophomores, freshman, or girls that are now joining. Most of the girls stated for an answer, that they had or have joined cheer because it might be something they enjoy or wanted to be more involved with.

Goals

The first characteristic the Swale stated was a common public goal. Cheers common goal is to get the crowd into the game and support the team. Isadora had stated that, “That it is to cheer up the fans, support the players, and show a lot of enthusiasm.” For the time being that I have been in cheer I can ensure that what she said is correct. I have seen cheerleaders putting up posters, making posters, and putting up locker signs. While attending football games I had also noticed that the cheerleaders get the crowd involved in a lot of cheers or attempt to. They cheer on the team when they score and even count out the points they have made. Megan again said, “The common goal is to be there to support your team no matter what the outcome of the game may be.” I have also seen that happen a lot when some of the games are lost. The cheerleaders go and tell the players that they have done a great job. That is another one of their goals.

Intercommunication

The second characteristic that swale states is intercommunication. Being able to communicate with your group is very important. It informs people of what is going on, where to be, and how to handle certain situations. Brittany says, “Snapchat and band” are the communications that are used when no one is together. Band is the most common app used that is how our coaches relate important information to the cheerleaders. Snapchat is used to create a group for all the girls to communicate outside of band and personal communication. Otherwise everything is when we are all together. It makes it easier to communicate when everything is discussed in person as a group.

Mechanisms for Information and feedback

Swales next characteristic is feedback. Feedback is used to get information through that needs to be told or be repeated. Both cheer coaches provide feedback, their emails, and their numbers so participants and parents can contact them in emergencies. Also so they can contact us in emergencies. Many things are given as feedback, some of them being, “A plan for each game, what is going to happen, what is going to be taken care of, and ect.” Stefani says. Feedback helps so everyone knows what to do and how to do it.

Genres

Our next characteristic is genres. Cheer uses many different genres some of those being posters, locker signs, and ect. Posters are used to show their spirit. Locker signs are used to support their team. One thing that wrestling cheer does specifically is they set up a giant piece of paper and tally all the wins of the people on the team. Cheer uses all these different genres to help with their goals. It helps to get a message across to the crowd, show their spirit, and support the team and each other. That way everyone feels a part of the game and no one is left out.

Lexis

Swales second to last characteristic is lexis. Lexis is used between the people involved and people in charge. Some people don’t understand the meaning of the words and others do. Some examples for cheer would be “Base, poms, kicks, and more.” Emma says. Some people may understand why those things are being said and what they mean. Base is a potion during a stunt. That is what one of the words means. Someone might mistake it as a base of a shape. Poms are what the cheerleaders use during performances. Kicks are also used during a performance; it is a certain move that needs to be done. These words are used to help the cheerleaders know what to do.