Why do kids hate books?

So… I guess you saw this article because you don’t like to read. Well, I have a question for you… WHY?!? Is it because it’s boring? Don’t have time? Too hard? Not important? Not fun? Well… THINK AGAIN! Maybe these are the “distractions” that are keeping you from reading… Your computer? Your TV? Your internet? Your cell phone “cough” texting “cough” your video game systems… “cough” PSP, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, ETC. “cough”; or maybe sports that you may be involved in.
Ok, books are a little boring at first, but start out small. If you have a class book to read, but you HATE reading chapter books, then just read a couple pages at a time. Not reading at all can affect your grade and your intelligence. If you have to finish a book by a deadline, then don’t wait till the last minute. READ the book if you don’t you will be pressured and won’t take your time, which means you should TAKE YOUR TIME. If you hate books period, then just try reading children’s books with lots of pictures and few words and work your way up to big books like Twilight and its series. Once you get hooked on a series, you just can’t stop. Series keep you busy so you don’t have to go looking for another book every month.
What kinds of books draw your attention: Are they the ones with the colorful covers? Relatable characters? Interesting plot? Sounds funny? An eye-catching excerpt on the back cover? Good comments from friends? Reviews? Well I too, look for these things. Most important is the genre - I personally enjoy fantasy fiction. Some people do not; it just depends on the individual. There are so many genres in books; the biggest are fiction and non-fiction. Fiction is fake, make-believe, made-up. Non-fiction is real life, real people, actually happened.
If you find a book that you like, you will most likely want to read more. If not then try another book. Trying different genres will help you find which one is best for you. Once you have found a genre, then try to read books from that genre, but occasionally read books from genres other than yours. Most likely in school you will have a book report that has the genre that you hate. Read it anyway, because it is always good to read various genres to expand your “genre collection”.
Here are 20 books that I challenge you to read…
1. Twilight – Stephenie Meyer
2. Twisted - Laurie Halse Anderson
3. Mediator – Meg Cabot
4. The Clique – Lisi Harrison
5. Warriors: Into the Wild – Erin Hunter
6. Heaven Looks a Lot Like The Mall – Wendy Mass
7. Eldest – Christopher Paolini
8. Peter and the Shadow Thieves – Dave Barry & Ridley Pearson
9. Speak – Laurie Halse Anderson
10. Marley and Me – John Grogan
11. Stargirl – Jerry Spinelli
12. To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee
13. Where the Red Fern Grows – Wilson Rawls
14. What My Mother Doesn’t Know – Sonya Sones
15. The Outsiders – S.E. Hinton
16. Budd, Not Buddy – Christopher Paul Curtis
17. Redwall Series – Brian Jacques
18. An Audience For Einstein – Mark Wakley
19. The Hunger Games – Suzanne Collins
20. Whale Talk – Chris Crutcher
Now if you read those books I guarantee that you will LOVE to read. There is no right and wrong way to get hooked onto books, you just have to read.
So remember, when someone tells you that they hate to read, tell them to READ! If you still hate books after reading those 20 books, then all I have to tell you is read some more, and more, and more! Put down those cell phones; turn off that T.V.; grab a book and READ! Oh and by the way, take your time and remember to HAVE FUN!

lilly said...
Jan. 21 at 9:10 pm:
Sorry to say, but most kids don't read because its "uncool". Just like girly girls; a lot of girls act that way to be popular. But there are some kids who don't act stupidly because others act stupidly and they DO read, do eat broccoli, and are their own selves! Anyway if you don't read because of popularity and stuff, well, that's nit very smart.

RayynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

I dislike the assumption you made at the very beginning of this. I clicked on this because I thought it would be a persuasive essay on why kids should read that I would agree with, but you start off accusing the reader of not liking reading. It made me not want to read the whole thing.

Throughout the essay, I suggest using less CAPITOL LETTERS and just italisizing them when you want emphasis. Capitol letters look unprofessional and take the reader's eyes away from ... (more »)

moon_light_writer said...
I love to read. Well on special occasion, but I still like to read. I agree that kids don't have a good point for not likeing books. I use to hate books and the reason why is because I thought they were boring. When really they are like a tv but typed in words. Good Job on the article.

kristinajust said...
Jul. 1, 2009 at 2:52 am:
OK, this was a paper that I had to write for school... i was desperate for words... I'm sorry if it offended you and I'm sorry that you felt different about this article. but thanks for the feedback!

sallyloco said...
Jun. 23, 2009 at 8:49 pm:
Very good point Kristina! My favorites and the ones i have read on your list are numbers 1, 11, 14, and 16. I would LOVE to read 9, 12, and 15. I love to read. It's a passion for me... Your article made sense and it was very well written. Good job! *claps*

tim B. said...
Jun. 17, 2009 at 10:34 pm:
why twilight? TeenInk.com/raw/Books/article/103740/Twilight/ and i still read a lot, but i still spend time on my xbox 360. i play the 360 from about 10 am-5pm and then i read till 9:30 which is when i eat and take a shower and get ready for bed at 10pm. about 4 times a week ill walk around my apartment complex for 30 min to an hour. so you cant say i dont do anything other then games. now you may say, "oh what about your social life, well i have almost 100 friends that i play with ha... (more »)