California Stands with Athletes | Teen Ink

California Stands with Athletes

October 28, 2019
By JacobCruzMedranda BRONZE, Thornwood, New York
JacobCruzMedranda BRONZE, Thornwood, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

For many high school students, a universal goal for athletes is to go to an NCAA Division 1 college for an extensive assortment of sports. For years, this ambitious goal was merely for personal enjoyment or an ample opportunity to go to the major leagues. Currently, many sports agents and athletes have persistently advocated for college athletes to be compensated for their work. The rule against college compensation has caused many potential college stars’ careers to be sullied. 


California has recently passed a bill (which goes into effect in about 3 years) allowing compensation for athletes in college. This opens up many unique opportunities for several collegiate athletes who demonstrate the remarkable talents to be compensated but previously were unable to act on any deals. One issue, though: this is only in effect in the state of California. This means that collegiate athletes outside of California will not be compensated.


At this moment in time, stars like LeBron James are entering the stand against the NCAA’s unjust rules against payment. It is reasonable to expect several other states moving to approve similar bills to California’s, regarding college athletes. Most likely, areas with the biggest name colleges are moving to get the bill approved. The reason behind this is that if any college athletes are being endorsed or signing agents, they’re presumably going to one of the more prominent sports colleges in America. 


High school students across America are considerably influenced by this innovative concept of collegiate payment as well. Given the political circumstances, Californian colleges can reasonably expect a rise in applications from student-athletes. This is assured to urge other states to place a similar bill in effect. The opportunities for athletes in America will merely increase from this. The NCAA will be forced to adapt to this change or be in danger of a supreme backlash from the athletic community. 


A national bill graciously allowing college athletes to be adequately compensated would mark a historic turning point for all athletes across the country. If this were to go into effect, college athletics should be expected to come to be one of the most crucial talking points in many young people’s foreseeable future. The market for college sports is massive enough to warrant such a change too. The most notable sports being basketball and football, draw packed stadiums and television ratings. The most arguably commercial event in March is March Madness, America’s national collegiate basketball tournament.


Gifted athletes of all ages should be tremendously excited that California has ultimately joined in the fight against the NCAA’s harsh policies. The NCAA will most likely have to conform to these inevitable changes or face continuous questioning. College and high school athletes’ futures now shine brighter than ever and will continue to shine brilliantly, given more states will decide to side with California.