Performing Arts Are Important | Teen Ink

Performing Arts Are Important

May 18, 2019
By Anonymous

As many people know, people are constantly growing and changing. We need an outlet to help us further develop ourselves emotionally and socially. Performing arts programs, specifically acting and music programs, help people grow in those areas.

Theatre and music are also important for the development of children's emotions. In her book, Marcia L. Tate explains an experiment where adults drove teenagers 597.6 miles from Livingston Tennessee to New Orleans, which is a 9 hour drive. There were 4 cars, in one of the cars the teenagers listened to only classical music. By the end of the trip, the teenagers grew closer to the driver. Put simply, the other cars were chaotic. “Denise [the driver of the calm car] commented that everyone in her van was asleep. The music affected the movement and mood of the teenagers and also helped their stressed brains relax. Calming music soothes even the teenage brain” (Tate 154). Tate explains another story in which an older woman almost dies of heart failure. Her daughter requested they play her mother’s favorite song, within half an hour the older woman’s heart stabilized and she is still alive today. “[These] Two stories both point to one fact, whether you are 8, 18, or 80: music soothes the savage breast.”(Tate 154). Though listening to music doesn’t seem like Performing arts, it is still music. Music is one of the biggest forms of performing arts: There are choirs, bands, and orchestras. Listening to music is like a combination of all three performing arts music branches. But music is not the only form of performing arts that can cause you to emotionally develop, there are also benefits from theatre. Acting is an emotional outlet “Acting and drama games allow students to express a range of emotions and encourage them to understand and deal with similar feelings they may be experiencing. Aggression and tension are released in a safe, controlled environment- often allowing for a period of reflection afterwards” (Stagewise). Many people feel they can’t express any or  have to display a specific emotion at all times, but in the theatre, people are free to express whichever emotion they want whether it is Karuna, Raudra, Bibhatsa, Hasya, Sringara, Vira, Adbuta, Bhayanaka, or Santa (the rasas). People can be who they are in the theatre. Performing allows people to “See the World in a Whole New Way”(Scholastic). Scholastic continues by saying, “She may never apply the improvisation skills she learned during the school play to a math equation [...] But simply by having been part of the performance process, [a person] has been exposed to a new way of thinking and doing” (Scholastic). A person grows a lot by performing in a play, skit, or musical. People also develop empathy through performing on stage. While performing, students create a better “Understanding characters, roles and the subtext of plays and musicals allows students to relate better to different situations, backgrounds, and cultures. It encourages them to show compassion and tolerance for others¨ (Stagewise). This can help people realize their own emotions and empathize with others, which can be a difficult skill to become good at. Music and theatre have positive effects on emotional development.

Performing arts can also cause social development. Performing improves communication skills. ¨It seems obvious to say that drama, theatre and the performing improves verbal and nonverbal communication, but it is worth stating that this benefits young people though their life. It improves vocal projection, articulation, tone of speech and expression. Importantly is also develops listening and observation skills¨ (Stagewise). The rules of society say communication is key. If a person have communication shortcomings, performing arts can help them grow in that area. People also cooperate more and better with other people, afterall ¨Theatre is a collaboration of different players and in many cases the quality of any performance reliance on an ensemble performance. Combining the creative ideas and the abilities of all the participants is required for the best outcomes. This requires all those taking part to engage in discussions, feedbacks, rehearsing, and the performance¨ (Stagewise). When one puts on a production, they must work with many people. It is important to develop that skill in your life, and theatre is one of the best ways to develop that skill. Theatre can help a person develop socially.

Some may say that performing arts are just ¨hobbies¨ and are just for fun and entertainment. While performing arts are fun and entertaining, studies from many people show they are very beneficial for people. All performing arts disciplines are proven to be important for emotional and social development.

In conclusion, performing arts are helpful for the growth of one´s emotional and social skills. Music brings you closer to people and connects you to people. Theatre improves your social skills. Not only can music and theatre develop emotional and social skills, but all performing arts disciplines can too, at any age, everyone can still grow and develop no matter how old they are.

 


Works Cited

Tate, Marcia L. Preparing Children for Success in School and Life: 20 Ways to Increase Your Child's Brain Power. Corwin, a SAGE Company, 2011.

“How the Performing Arts Benefit Kids.” Scholastic, 2019.

Stagewise. “11 Important Benefits of Drama | StageWise - Ireland's Top Performing Arts Camp For Teens.” StageWise, 24 Sept. 2014.