What Will You See? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

They say that when you die your life flashes before your eyes. Will you see anything other than a small black box in the corner of your room? Will your only companions be the remote and the cast of “Lost”? What have you changed in this world? What will you leave behind but empty bags of potato chips, a messy room, and an indentation on the couch?

Or maybe you’ll be surrounded by people all the time. You are the center of attention and everybody loves you. You go out with your friends, partying and having fun, but what about in the morning? You wake up with a pounding headache and an upset stomach. What about your death, do you think it was time to go?

You could be the exact opposite. You may want company, but for whatever reason not have it. Maybe you’re scared or shy. You go home, lock yourself in your room, and sink into anger until ... Will your family wonder why you had to go and do that to yourself? How do you think it will affect your little sister when she finds you face down in the bathtub?

Are you one of the Steve Irwins of the world, always out to find adventure? You love to entertain people, but will your love of adventure lead to your end? You can never be quite sure when your heart and spirit will be broken. All your adventures will one day be forgotten and it will all have been for nothing.

Or maybe you played it safe your entire life. You outlived all those others, but what for? You never did anything great, you never made anything of yourself. You’re alone in all your security, but is that worth it? You just took up space on this earth.

They say that when you die, your life flashes before your eyes. What will you see?

Kyra11 said...
Jun. 18 at 2:29 am
That was a really insightful article... especially the ending ... I have written a similar poem titel "One last fall" in my blog. I am putting in the link. Do check i out, you'll love it!! :)  visionzz-ayesha.blogspot.in/2014/06/distorted.html

savetheplanet said...
Wow, this is so amazing.  I hope I see something good.

LexiB said...
Good article. What made you choose the pic?

lszyman96 said...
wow i loved how you ended it

marinalynn said...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 1:27 am
I think the way you've written this makes it capable of connecting to everyone. It was flawless I'd say. I believe your look on life and death is lighter than what's written because you make a point of questioning what you see. But perhaps I'm wrongly assuming. Your writting is great! If you're feeling down, re-read this and feel empowered,  and if you are content, further your ideas and help those who are not. great job!

saimne This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
nice way to articulate the common idea of, what is my purpose? and all those mind warping ideas.

sailercThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:15 am
I love this piece! Very creative, I especially love the beginning and ending sentences. Keep on writing!

daughter_of_athena This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love your use of sensory images and the way you brought the whole piece full circle. Just one thing: aren't there some good ways to die? Do you think that it's okay to die surrounded by loved ones, or giving up your life for a good cause?
These are just some of my own thought. Overall, though, I think this was a very well written and thought-provoking piece!

Kelz1141This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I really like this and you make a great point. But who are you to say what is great and who is great. We all have greatness in us, and we all see greatness in different ways.

Angela N. said...
This Is Wonderful. You Used The Examples Very Well

bloods replied...
i loved it. keep it up look up some of my staff.

Maidengirl replied...
I must acknowledge that this is very well-written. However, consider: if you had to hold an opinion on what you would see when you died, what would you say? I know on my own part, I would hold to the view that there are two places you can go: heaven or hell. God wants to give grace- eternal life!- to anyone who desires those crystal waters and golden streets, and ultimately to be with him. For those who choose not to follow him, there is eternal damnation and suffering in hell.&... (more »)